Join for free
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Here endeth the 5th Day

I have always liked a drink and a smoke-a bit too much really.

And after Jenny died I did drown my sorrows. Then on Tuesday I woke up a decided to get a grip. Today is the 5th day without either-it`s hard but I am determined. I don`t think I have gone 5 days without a drink/smoke since I was 18
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 11:01 PM

Re: Here endeth the 5th Day

OG, When a love one is lost we do turn to something to help us through the period.
Self determination and will power will help. I wish you all the luck in the world getting rid of the Smoking, Drink, in reasonable amounts is OK, follow it with water and it flushes the liver out doing wonders for the system.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 11:44 PM

Hi, Steph, I've been thinking of you since your loss, and wondering how you were doing, I doubt if I'd be able to give up my little comforts of moderate drinking and smoking at such a stressful time. but wish you well if that's the path you feel you need to take. God bless.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
I have always liked a drink and a smoke-a bit too much really.

And after Jenny died I did drown my sorrows. Then on Tuesday I woke up a decided to get a grip. Today is the 5th day without either-it`s hard but I am determined. I don`t think I have gone 5 days without a drink/smoke since I was 18
Well done for your succcess so far OG, it is easy to turn to addictions for comfort when you lose a loved one. I'm going to be trying to lose weight next year so I'll be suffering with you.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 09:47 AM

When I found my brother dead, I started to smoke again but when I reached the over 60/70 a day, I decided to stop! Couldn't afford it.

That is good that you stopped drinking OG - it is a killer and is worse for you than drugs are!

It is understandable though, people do it to blot out their hurt but still have to face it the next day.

Time is the best healer and I do sincerely hope that everything is getting a bit easier for you.

When I lost John, I changed around the things in the flat so that I wouldn't see things as they were when John was living. I redecorated as well. I found that good therapy. I also spoke of him to my friends and workmates, who were all very supportive to me.

That is a good positive step in the right direction you have made.

Take care.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Well done OG, it's good that you have decided on this positive step ....... I think Jenny would have been proud of you.

Take care.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Good to hear from you again OG. Giving up smoking and drinking together must really be a challenge, I don't think I could do both at once - but you know sometimes these things really help when someone is going through a tough time. Make sure you are able to relax and sleep - a drop of whiskey or whatever is your tipple does no harm if it helps you relax - I don't think so anyway. Best wishes.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 05:42 PM

How are you OG, yes giving the old liver and lungs a rest works wonders for me, after a few Days you'll feel like a new Man.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Nice to hear from you again OG, I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are. To give up the fags and drink together sounds an awesome task but big events in our lives seem to make us stronger, we have to be don't we? All the luck in the world with it. I gave up the ciggies over a year ago after 42 years of them and feel soooooo much better and so will you, looking after yourself comes first. x
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Good to hear from you OG, and I wish you all the best- 5 days is a great start. Take care.......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top