Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Episode 6 Washington DC

Washinton DC

As I do not know much about Washington DC maybe Dandysmom could help out a bit with Towns and attractions.

Formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, or simply D.C., is the capital of the United States, founded on July 16, 1790.

The District is located on the north bank of the Potomac River and is bordered by the states of Virginia to the southwest and Maryland to the other sides.

Originally explored by Capt. James Cook (1778), Washington was the object of a dispute between England and the United States until 1846, when its northern border was set at the 49th parallel

The city of Washington, D.C. was named after George Washington in 1791 and the District was named in memory of Christopher Columbus.

Wood Thrush is the district’s bird and American Beauty Rose, the flower. The tree of the district is Scarlet Oak and the "The Star-Spangled Banner" is the song.
Washington State Insect Emblem - Green Darner Dragonfly

Washington became the 42nd state in the United States on November 11, 1889.
In 1800, the Government Headquarters of the USA is shifted to Washington, D.C. The Congress grants the first municipal charter of the City of Washington in 1802.

In 1862, slavery was abolished in Washington, D.C. and in 1888, the monument of Washington was open to the general public.

On March 29, 1961, residents of Washington were given the right to vote in presidential elections.

In 1992, the House of Representatives approved the statehood of Washington, D.C.

The White house

The official residence and principal workplace of the President of the United States. Located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C., the house was designed by Irish-born James Hoban.

In 1814, during the War of 1812, the mansion was set ablaze by the British Army in the Burning of Washington, destroying the interior and charring much of the exterior. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and President James Monroe moved into the partially reconstructed house in October 1817.

The White House is made up of six stories—the Ground Floor, State Floor, Second Floor, and Third Floor, as well as a two-story basement.

The Washington Monument

Built between 1848 and 1884 as a tribute to George Washington's military leadership from 1775-1783 during the American Revolution. Its construction took place in two major phases, 1848-56, and 1876-84--a lack of funds, political turmoil, and uncertainty about the survival of the American Union caused the intermittent hiatus.

Smithsonian Institute

The money to create the Smithsonian came from a bequest in the will of James Smithson, a British Scientist and he had never been to the United States.
The reason for this bequest – “to the United States of America, to found at Washington, under the name of the Smithsonian Institution, an establishment for the increase and diffusion of knowledge among men”.

There are currently 19 museums in the complex, and 9 research centers.

Father’s Day was founded here in 1910
Washington produces 70 percent of the nation’s hops used to brew beer, to overcome beer breath, the majority of the nation’s mint is also grown in the state.

Famous people

Jim Hendrix- Need I add anything
Bill Gates- Produced time wasting machines!!
Adam West - Batman
Katherine Marie Heigl - Actress
Goldie Jean Hawn - Actress
Linda B. Buck - , scientist, Nobel Prize winner

Episode 7 Derbyshire
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Re: Episode 6 Washington DC

Very informative info about Washington, AB.

Washington itself is a beautiful city - I enjoyed my time there, the Whitehouse was much smaller inside than I had envisaged but really interesting.

Many thanks for sharing!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Another great read, AB and some interesting facts there .... thanks!

I wonder how far away Dandymom lives from the White House?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 09:41 PM

AB, what a nice surprise to log in and find this! How thoughtful.

I'm about 4-5 miles as the crow flies from the White House, Mags; I can tell you it's about a half hour bus ride, as at one time our office was three blocks from there .. could see it from the window.

A couple of facts about Washington STATE got mixed in: Capt. Cook and the Canadian boundry dispute refer to it, rather than the City, and it was the 43rd state. Washington is a Federal Territory (not a state, have no idea where that 1992 statehood entry came from !!). As such, we have no representation in Congress, as only states have senators and representatives. That's a long involved story, our struggle for statehood, but won't bore you with it.

We're known as the City of Trees, and the cherry blossoms are world famous in the Spring. And we have the National Zoo and our pandas. My home town, and I love it.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 10:56 PM

Thank you for your response Eileen, the 1992 entry came from Buzzle.com:-

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/inter...ington-dc.html

Who are the 9 representaives of the 9 districts of Washington?

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Why is Washington listed as the 42nd state?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_of_statehood

Sorry but I love to know facts of places and if there are discrepancies then I always try to find out why.

I have heard it called the 'City of Trees' before and if memory serves rightly I seem to remember that there is a book about them, over 300 different species I think.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 12:28 AM

AB, My old eyes can't
make out the tiny print in that article. It looks as if it was one of the times a resolution passed in the House of Representatives to let the CITY of Washington apply for statehood. To pass, the Senate would have had to vote on it also and the President sign it to make it into law. Never happened! Washington DC is a heavily Democratic city which means any senators would be Democrats and no way would a Republican controlled Congress or a Republican President ever endorse that. The struggle for congressional representation has been going on for hundreds of years, and won't be resolved in my lifetime.

The STATE of Washington was admitted to the Union as the 42nd state.

Hope I've been reasonably clear; it's a bit confusing about the City ... after dinner will see if I can find a link explaining the situation a bit more clearly than I have.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

05-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Is this better Eileen?

It is the House of Representatives approval.

I will look forward to any links that you may find.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

05-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Ah thanks, that's legible! Yes, we did finally get the right to vote at last in 1961 ... I cast my first ever vote for Kennedy! Have not missed voting ever since; the right to vote is precious.

Got involved last night, promise I'll hunt up a good link.......
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 11:47 PM

More interesting information-really enjoying reading the history behind these areas AB.......
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

06-12-2010, 02:48 AM

I thought I'd posted this link earlier, but when I logged back on tonight it seems to have vanished in cyberspace ... ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ehood_movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top