Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 07:54 PM

Nikon D800 video test

While my camcorder is in camcorder hospital having a switch transplant I thought I would have a go with my Nikon D800.

I was looking for colour -focus-smoothness without any rolling. At the same time adding music and fade in/out. Just for my own satisfaction really

Not bad but a lot easier using the camcorder and better quality from it

Anyone else taken camera videos and put on youtube to show on here I wonder? bit of a different challange from the usual
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Re: Nikon D800 video test

Good one mate. Now give me a good report on the D800. At the mo, I have a D5300 and would love to upgrade. Should it be the 500 or 800 in my limited budget?
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 08:44 PM

I've done a lot of video with the D800 and it's not as easy as a camcorder but it blows it away for image quality compared to the Canon XA2, especially with fast prime lenses (typically 50mm F/1.4) giving lovely shallow depth of field.

You need to set it up right though and shoot in manual with manual focus.

I set the shutter speed to 1/100 (a multiple of the 25 Frames per sec reqired to avid flicker due to mains AC lighting freq.)

Frame rate in camera set to 25/sec - again in sync with the mains supply.

I then set the aperture I want depending on the look / depth of field required.

With shutter speed and aperture pre-set I use ISO level to set exposure.

Manual focus to avoid hearing the focus motor on the audio track and also prevent those little in/out focus glitches with AF.

Alas it's all "work" stuff and not something I can share on here.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->
I've done a lot of video with the D800 and it's not as easy as a camcorder but it blows it away for image quality compared to the Canon XA2, especially with fast prime lenses (typically 50mm F/1.4) giving lovely shallow depth of field.

I set the shutter speed to 1/100 (a multiple of the 25 Frames per sec reqired to avid flicker due to mains AC lighting freq.)

Manual focus to avoid hearing the focus motor on the audio track and also prevent those little in/out focus glitches with AF.

Wow, great return Dave. Thanks for that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Good one mate. Now give me a good report on the D800. At the mo, I have a D5300 and would love to upgrade. Should it be the 500 or 800 in my limited budget?

I can't speak about the D500 not having owned one, however I can about the D800.

With all those extra mega pixels to play with being able to crop down without loosing picture quality is amazing. Couple it with a 27-70mm lens and you will be hard put to find the need for any other lens.
It depends on how you take photos as the D800 having to process such large files it does reduce the number of frames per second. but for it it can also accept DX lens and has a feature in the menu to be able to shoot in DX or FX mode.

I took the D800 coupled to the 24-70 lens on the baltic cruise visiting many countries and the same with the caribbean cruise and only used that lens , there was no need for any others..
I have not found anything to dislike about it but it takes some getting to know as it has such flexability on the menus.

You do need quality glass to get the best out of the camera which is why I would strongly recommend that AF-s 24-70mm f2.8g lens

What is it like for night shots? this combo took this

Buildings

Heavily cropped and detail still good (80-400mm lens)

Ship

Flower detail (hand held camera in light breeze)

all have exif files to look at.

As examples converted to Jpeg to be able to post on here.

So would I buy it again even if used? definately if it like any other camera had a low shutter count.

If I wanted a new Nikon camera the D810 would be the only one I would get..

yes the D500 model is a lot newer but DX? not for me you loose so much in the field of view. Once having gone to FX i wouldn't go back ,but then again I am keeping my D300 as a backup camera.

Of course a camera is just a tool it is the person using it that makes the difference

Steve (gasman) as you are in kent, depending which part, if you are in the bexhill on sea area east sussex you are welcome to have a play with my D800.
I have sent you a PM
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-05-2017, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->

yes that can be a problem and as you say go into manual focus, Or use an external microphone .

I use a SennheiserMKE400 with a Gutmann dead cat wind deflector ( the best I found for that mic) with extra audio cable length as when doing a video. Usually one has the camera on a tripod , therefore with the extn audio lead the mic can be placed well away from the camera still allowing camera panning. That dead cat is a really tight fit on the mic and no fear of it coming off without a good tug.

Or one can replace/remove sound as in post 1 replaced in this case

Shown with the Nikon MB D12 grip

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2017, 08:17 AM

iPad air

lol ... OK just being silly

Love the first still pic.

OH (Graphic Designer) used a D700 most of the time ... shame he's not here to chat with you all.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-05-2017, 09:35 AM

At the time I could not afford the D700 Rachel, only the D300 after P/X my D200 and I had a few DX lenses as well. Started off with the D70s and progressed through the Nikon lineup to now the D800.
The D800 comes out of the pro consumer range to a full professional camera range and needs the quality lenses to go with it.
Steve (gasman) was asking which to get the D500 against the D800.

My son does the same kind of work as your OH ,he does graphic art and design with computers and lectured across Europe. Also has been head hunted in America and spent a couple of years working out there.

In my book the D800 has no rivals in that price bracket of Nikon cameras apart from the D810 its upgrade so to speak. With 446 page manual gives some idea of how many features it has, I only wish they were put in a better order instead of jumping loads of pages .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
At the time I could not afford the D700 Rachel, only the D300 after P/X my D200 and I had a few DX lenses as well. Started off with the D70s and progressed through the Nikon lineup to now the D800.
The D800 comes out of the pro consumer range to a full professional camera range and needs the quality lenses to go with it.
Steve (gasman) was asking which to get the D500 against the D800.

My son does the same kind of work as your OH ,he does graphic art and design with computers and lectured across Europe. Also has been head hunted in America and spent a couple of years working out there.

In my book the D800 has no rivals in that price bracket of Nikon cameras apart from the D810 its upgrade so to speak. With 446 page manual gives some idea of how many features it has, I only wish they were put in a better order instead of jumping loads of pages .
Gosh your son must be pretty damned good
Chip of the old block eh ?

As for manuals ... and 446 pages ... noooooooooooooooo!

I remain non-techy and don't really take many pics but, when I do I use a Canon G7 (and my constant companion .. the iPad, of course lol).

The camera I really used to enjoy is an old Nikon but the shutter jammed years ago and at that time it was cheaper to buy a Nikon FM than get it fixed.
That was years before the digital era.

The macro on my Canon is pretty good and when we bought a few second-hand rings, I used it to photograph the assay marks, so I could look up the dates etc. Far better than using a jewellers' loupe.
We took a few with the D700 for comparison. Obviously that was easier but the quality was only slightly better imo.

I sold the D700 and a few other bits but have kept a Nikon zoom (70- 210) which should fit on the boyfriend's Nikon ... D3100
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

06-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Taken with my Canon

Yes, I only take 'snaps' ... nothing clever, but I do use photoshop CS5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top