Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 02:51 PM

Remember these?

I am in Geraldton, WA and I came across this:

It was next to the visitors' centre and I sat on it to read a brochure before I realised what it was (or rather, had been before Elf and Safety rendered it inoperable)

I don't think I have seen a hexagonal one before I remember them as being circular.

Do you remember them? Do you know what it was in its prime?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	170505 019 Geraldton.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2955  
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Re: Remember these?

I have never seen one of those before.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 03:12 PM

I remember those, Bruce, we used to call them 'Lemon Squashes' because of the shape. My brother could make them turn really fast !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 03:12 PM

It's a Witches Hat, a Playground Ride.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 03:20 PM

We used to call them 'roundabouts'

Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 05:45 PM

I remember these things ,I loved them but not when they really got going spinning fast....not suprised theyre no longer in use tbh lol
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 08:38 PM

A sign of the times - we have roundabouts that don't turn, slides that don't slide and swings that have restraining bars to stop you falling out. Remember the `big swing`? The one like a long wooden beam with handles fitted that swung from side to side. You had to stand on one end with your feet on the wooden beam and grab hold of the metal frame to make it start moving. When you got proficient, you could take it up to the `bumps`, this is where the beam of wood used to hit the cross piece of the metal frame leaving a groove in the timber. Happy days.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swing.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	2956  
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Used to bounce them off the trunnion at the top and were told off by Mr Park Ranger!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A sign of the times - we have roundabouts that don't turn, slides that don't slide and swings that have restraining bars to stop you falling out. Remember the `big swing`? The one like a long wooden beam with handles fitted that swung from side to side. You had to stand on one end with your feet on the wooden beam and grab hold of the metal frame to make it start moving. When you got proficient, you could take it up to the `bumps`, this is where the beam of wood used to hit the cross piece of the metal frame leaving a groove in the timber. Happy days.
Oooo yes ... good fun and what about those swing boats!
They could be scary

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top