Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 08:17 PM

exaggeration why?

Why do people exaggerate on something they know little about?

Just had a discussion on another forum about what photographers charge for family or pet photos.

One guy stated that a professional photographer charges thousands for a photograph. Well I looked up her web site and the 2 hr session was £250 approx

Just goes to show they don't even do research before spouting rubbish

Bit like the fisherman who caught a tiddler, gets to the pub and he has caught a whale.

Why do people do it? do they think it is clever? To me it shows they are plain idiots
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 10:52 PM

Re: exaggeration why?

It depends how you look at it.

Yes, one session may well be £250 but I bet it's not including photos.

I had a family photo session, 2 kids, wife and my mum and grandad.

My wife's parents ordered some of my wife, kids and I.
I ordered a lot of just kids, wife and I..kids wife and I along with mum and grandad.
My mum ordered some too.

I bet the cost for all topped £5k.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 10:57 PM

Good grief Tpin Expensive memories to keep.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Good grief Tpin Expensive memories to keep.
We ordered a lot between us all.

Some were portraits of varying sizes....for example one is about 4'x3' can't remember exact sizes, then there were albums in presentation boxes, cushioned type leather covers etc.

It was something we wanted that would last for decades and you only do it once....or possibly twice if I'm blessed with grandkids.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2017, 11:17 PM

Aww, that's lovely. You're an old softie.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2017, 07:00 AM

Well, there is exaggerating and there is embellishing. They kinda are the same as they are both used to get a point across. A 'tall tale' as the saying goes .

I think nearly everyone is guilty of the above to a certain extent - I know I am . I know my sister is and it drives me nuts at times.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Having just had wedding pics done I'd say that's not exageratting. I remember a time bride and groom would give pictures to family as keepsakes. This time they had to say if people want any they have to pay for them, total bill came to £2000 for one set in an album. Any extras was something like £45 each !

I'm very glad one of the guests took some fabulous pictures and happily printed out copies for everyone for simple cost of the photo printer paper he used.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2017, 12:06 PM

I was brought up with it. My father could drop a bomb within 50ft of the target-not bad for someone who never saw active service but was flown around Southern Rhodesia.

Then there was `the block` a square circuit from the `Bungalow` and back. I used to run it in my early teens when I discovered I actually loved running at school. It was about three and a half miles. He claimed he could run it in `about 10 minutes`when he was my age.

Why do people do it?? Most probably because they have low self esteem and think it makes them seem smarter than they know they are. The truth is they are only fooling themselves.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I was brought up with it. My father could drop a bomb within 50ft of the target-not bad for someone who never saw active service but was flown around Southern Rhodesia.

Then there was `the block` a square circuit from the `Bungalow` and back. I used to run it in my early teens when I discovered I actually loved running at school. It was about three and a half miles. He claimed he could run it in `about 10 minutes`when he was my age.

Why do people do it?? Most probably because they have low self esteem and think it makes them seem smarter than they know they are. The truth is they are only fooling themselves.

lol OG but how intensely irritating for you ... and embarrassing

My dad's brother was full of this kind of 'bluster' ... which, apparently, made him a good salesman

Confronting him didn't work ... his DIL tried it most of the time but he just tried to lie his way out of it.

UGH !
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2017, 12:47 PM

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...9!4d-0.5430003

This should be `the block`-Start at Beford Road,Hoo lane,Wooton green,Upper Shelton,Lower Shelton,back to Bedford Road.

Mother still lives in Lower Shelton and although the roads have changed beyond recognition they are still in my mind`s eye. Same old record-why did she fall for a compulsive liar?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top