Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2009, 09:53 PM

School...............

............did you love it or hate it?......were you 'well behaved' or 'naughty'? and what subjects did you like most?

At primary school I showed no interest at all in anything and would probably come under the heading 'naughty'. Didn't do anything really bad but I did seem somehow to wind a couple of teachers up..talking in class, banging the desk top down loudly.. accidently on purpose you know not concentrating etc. etc. Many times I had pieces of chalk thrown at me or the board duster-course the teacher always missed! I think in those days I was gullible and easily led No wonder I failed my 11+

I loved Comprehensive School-only got myself into trouble once-I took the netball team out on strike because we didn't get the same amount of time to practice as the other teams....because of this my Head Girl status was taken from me

The subjects I liked most were English, Maths and Sports.

Geography-wasn't good at-couldn't remember where different countries were and what they were about. History-hated it-couldn't remember dates, or anything about Kings and Queens and Science-no, no, no, just couldn't disect those poor little dead creatures

Oh, happy days................
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Re: School...............

What a good thread! I loved school, did well but always got in trouble for talking too much!
Loved English, History (World and American), Biology, Latin, Spanish. Social Studies. Hated Algebra, Geometry, Chemistry and Gym!
Lou
UK
Lou is female  Lou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2009, 11:29 PM

I loved school in the early years Hated High school though, all my friends went to one High school and I was forced to go to another. I didn't know anyone there....

My favourite subject was English

I left school with no qualifications though, the doctor signed me off school when I was 15 as I have a spinal condition and the school refused to let me do my work down stairs, as I struggled to climb the three flights of stairs for each lesson.

I always wanted to join the police force when I was at school That's one of my regrets x
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 03:21 AM

I quite liked the school, I hated all sports though and got repeatedly punished for it.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 07:36 AM

I didn't mind school and loved cross country running, although me and my friend had to do pe with the boys to do it as girls didn't do cross country .
I was fairly well behaved but at secondary school was a bit of a rebel. To cut a long story short w used to see what we could eat in class without getting caught. Crisps were difficult as noisy but an orange definatly got you caught as it smelt so strong .
The we tried passing a lighted candle round the class but that culminated in gunpwder being found in our desks and we were accused of trying to blow up the school.
I left with 2 CSE's in English and Typing.
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 07:55 AM

I enjoyed school, apart from games. I still shudder at the thought of hockey in freezing temperatures, wearing those silly grey divided skirts. Swimming was even worse. We had to start with a COLD shower so the water would feel warm.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 08:08 AM

I enjoyed school until mid senior school, I left early and started working in an office, I earned £5.00 a week!

I was a good girl but did tend to chatter a lot. I was very lucky that my fellow class mates (both boys and girls) would always stand up for you against bullying, they were a lovely lot!

Divided skirts, most of the time we had to do PE in our knickers!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Primary school was ok, nothing I disliked about it. I then went to Grammar School and really loved it there. My school was next to a huge park and on hot sunny days we had our lessons there .......it certainly made learning Shakespeare more bearable. We also had to run round the perimeter of the park on Gym days in our navy blue knickers..... that was before they added shorts to the school uniform

I loved Games and was in the school hockey team and cricket team.......yes, the girls had to play cricket as well.

Our teachers were strict but that did us no harm....... in fact they could do with some of the old school discipline in todays schools We had nicknames for many of the teachers, the worse one was Killer Cox the Maths teacher.....everyone was scared of him! Our Headmaster, Dr. Baldwin was a lovely man but his deputy, Mr Watters was frightening.....he was the one who used to wield the cane....thankfully I was never on the receiving end!

I loved learning languages up to the point when tenses were introduced, I found that muddling. I did enjoy Latin but later wished I had taken German instead as it would probably been more useful.

I left at 16 with GCE O levels in English Language, English Literature, French and Home Economics
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 04:20 PM

No, I didn't particularly like senior school. It was about 8 miles from home, so quite a long bus journey evry day, by the time we had travelled through the various villages picking up. I think I had to be at the bus stop at 7.45 and was dropped back about 4.15. A pretty long day when you factor in the homework which was also expected.
Add in school dinners - cooked 5 miles away and transported in alleged keep warm containers. Not so good.
I too was/am a sport-o-phobic, when it comes to taking part. Oh the horror of double games on a freezing Thursday morning. How that hockey ball hurt when it thwacked a frozen shin.
I did quite well but more out of a sense of duty than delight in my education, I'm afraid.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 04:37 PM

I hated team sports: no good at softball,field hockey, basketball, or volleyball. As a short fat kid with glasses and not the most physically co-ordinated I was always among the last to be picked, naturally (embarrassing!), but I did like and was very good at archery! My sole pleasant memory of school sports.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top