Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Badger Culling

After the culling of thousands of badgers each year , attempting to control bovine TB, it has come to attention that , hounds from the Kimblewick Hunt, which covers several counties, are infected with bovine TB.

There is a call for the hunting with these hounds to be halted until they are TB free.

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2016-17/1114
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 02:52 PM

Re: Badger Culling

I didnt know Dogs could get it , something else to worry about now .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 03:44 PM

Hi

Another non story by a points scoring Labour MP.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 03:56 PM

Why is it a non news story Swim ? Don't understand ..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 04:04 PM

If they're culling badgers due to bovine TB, only fair that they cull the entire hunt hounds too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 04:34 PM

Hi

The hounds in question are no longer hunting and are are being kept in kennels with full bio security measures in place.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 07:13 PM

I suspect there is more to this than we know.
I have a friend closely associated with the hunt, and the majority seem unable to tell the truth if their life depended on it.

It also seems highly unlikely for dogs to get this disease, but cats can, although quite rarely.
See below:

Bovine Tuberculosis (TB) in pets
Topics:
Animal health and welfare Bovine Tuberculosis
This page provide some useful advice in relation to Bovine Tuberculosis and pets

Can cats and dogs be infected with bovine TB?
Only a small number of M. bovis infections in pets, mostly cats, are recorded and M. bovis infection is rarely recorded in dogs. Of the 8 million cats living in the UK, less than 30 each year are confirmed as infected with M. bovis. However there was a cluster of bovine TB-infected cats in Berkshire which all had the same strain of bovine TB as predominates in local cattle. Four human cases of TB have also been found through screening as a result of this cluster. Two of these have been confirmed as caused by the identical strain of bacteria as found in the cats. This has led to the conclusion, for the first time, that infection in humans was caused by the cats.

Whilst the risk of spread from pets to either cattle or humans is judged to be very low, it is important to be aware of the potential, and to remember that any case of bovine tuberculosis, in any species, must be notified to DAERA. If DAERA is notified of a case, it will inform local health authorities and may also take action on disease control in any cattle herds that it considers may have been associated with the spread of infection. Veterinary treatment of infected pets is strongly discouraged due to the infectious nature of the disease to both humans and animals - in any case, treatment is not permitted unless under licence from DAERA.

Veterinary Service has produced an advice leaflet on the subject for pet owners called Bovine Tuberculosis (TB) in domestic pets - what this means for you.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

13-04-2017, 07:26 PM

Hi

Mups, hunt hounds are often fed raw meat.

In this instance it is thought this is the most likely cause of the infection, a casualty cow fed to the hounds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Mups, hunt hounds are often fed raw meat.

In this instance it is thought this is the most likely cause of the infection, a casualty cow fed to the hounds.

Yes, I know that Swims.

Apparently this case happened a while back, but it was sat on and not made public knowledge until now.

I also heard, this very night in fact, that those hounds are not being kept in kennels at all, they have all been destroyed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d1078ca25a6b

I also stick to my theory that there is more to this than is being revealed.
A cow would not have been sent to the hunt kennels if it had been strong and healthy. Someone must have known that animal was sick and decided to dispose of it sharpish.

Now look at the result.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-04-2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I know that Swims.

Apparently this case happened a while back, but it was sat on and not made public knowledge until now.

I also heard, this very night in fact, that those hounds are not being kept in kennels at all, they have all been destroyed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d1078ca25a6b

I also stick to my theory that there is more to this than is being revealed.
A cow would not have been sent to the hunt kennels if it had been strong and healthy. Someone must have known that animal was sick and decided to dispose of it sharpish.

Now look at the result.
Hi

It must be something in the air at the moment about conspiracies and cover ups.

The issue was not publicly reported by the Hunt, their choice, because there is no legal requirement to do so.

The hunt has been advised by DEFRA and Animal Health and Welfare.

The latest statement published by the Government Agencies involved said that those hounds not put down are being kept in the kennels.

Where did you learn that they have all been put down?

Now, of course the animal was neither fit nor healthy, if it had have been it would have gone to a slaughterhouse and into the food chain.

There are many reasons why animals are slaughtered on farm or at a knackers yard.

These are still covered by the cradle to the grave paperwork.

TB testing is carried out at differing frequencies depending which part of the country you are in, typically once a year.

It is perfectly possible for cattle to be free when tested, and then test positive a year later.

In the interim, they may also have an accident, be unfit for human consumption and end up in kennels as dog food.

Farmers get compensation for TB slaughter, it would be extremely stupid to lose this compensation and if the animal suddenly disappeared, be subject to prosecution for not having the paperwork for disposal.

I have no interest in Fox Hunting, so not trying to justify it.

I like badgers, I am against the culling of Badgers.

We will just have to disagree on this one Mups.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top