Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:00 AM

Fuel saving lights

Not the usual moan about our home lights but the new idea of turning off lights when not used in public buildings having sensors to make them come on.

The new ones they've put in the carpark where I work used to have a push switch at bottom of stairs put all the lights on up the stairs and across the carpark. Safe walk to your car and no problem to anyone. The security guard turned them off on his locking up route in the evening.

Now the sensor is at top of stairs so you grope your way up in the dark, anyone could be up there. Jump up and down at top of stairs because sensor only sees you if you are 6 ft tall and lights stay on long enough for you to run across to your car no chance of getting in before they go off.

Yes must save fuel but I wonder how long before someone gets hurt ?

I'm told the council want to roll them out across the borough
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:07 AM

Re: Fuel saving lights

We have sensors at work in some meeting rooms, OK in theory but in practice they are a pain, they are not as reliable as they could be and we are replacing them regularly.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:16 AM

We have them in the offices I Hoover faster than they react so I Hoover in the dark and the lights come on in time for me to look back and see if I missed anything. Rubbish system.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Sensor lights can be dangerous I agree. At a caravan site that we used to stay at they had sensor lights in the showers, which once went off whilst my wife was in the shower and she was left in the pitch dark, soaking wet and too disorientated to do anything but scream for help!
On complaining to the management next day they just shrugged it off without even apologising and said they would get it checked. For god's sake how much does it cost to run a light bulb in a shower cubicle....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Perhaps they are not quite adjusted properly Julie?
I think you should tell your boss, because as they have perhaps all gone home in the evening, they probably don't know what happens.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Security have reported it several times no one is interested mainly because as you say they have all gone home.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Security have reported it several times no one is interested mainly because as you say they have all gone home.
Well keep on at them Julie. Tell them you don't feel safe going across the car park in the dark.
Someone's just too lazy to do their job properly.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:29 AM

I've got a screw driver and a step ladder. Where about are those sensors?
They really are not difficult to set up properly.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-04-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I've got a screw driver and a step ladder. Where about are those sensors?
They really are not difficult to set up properly.

That's what I meant Plops. They can be sort of ok if they are adjusted right. It doesn't sound as if these are.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Across the valley from my place, they built a block of flats (on what was originally the Station carpark). They leave the hallway lights on all night - its like Las Vegas here. Some nights I can get out of bed and walk through my place to the khazi without the need of putting on any lights in my place at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top