Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:43 AM

New Scam Warning

Thought I'd post this for you to have a look at.
I just got it from my local Neighbourhood Watch this morning.

From Met Police:
Details of a phone scam just come in. Certainly worth remembering and telling all your friends and relatives to watch out for.

A NEW Phone Scam:

A warning has been issued over a new phone call scam which is set to sweep the UK.

Police say people should remain vigilant when answering the phone to a number they don't recognise.

And if the caller asks 'can you hear me?' the advice is to hang up straight away.

The scam, which uses voice signatures to try and charge you for products or services that you've never used, has been a major one in

the US and experts expect it to turn up on this side of the pond very soon.

How does the scam work?

•A local number will ring you

•The person on the phone will then introduce themselves and the company they supposedly work for

•They then ask: 'Can you hear me?'

•Your answer is recorded, and if you say 'yes', your response will be edited and then used to charge you for products or services without

your knowledge.

If you try to disagree with them, they will then play back their recording of you saying 'yes' and threaten to take legal action if you don't pay up.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:48 AM

Re: New Scam Warning

Yes I read this recently. So our response should then be (if we feel like playing games)

'I can hear you! Can you hear me?'
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Oh dear, it's like that 'Yes' 'No' game that used to be on TV. I'm not sure I would hold out that long.

Thanks for the warning Mups.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Now that's a bit worrying especially if you see it's from a local telephone number. Do they ring mobile phones as well as landlines?
You certainly have to be on your toes these days!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Why is it that we are always the ones that have to deal with all this crap? Surely if there is a known scam going around, the law should be on our side?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 12:51 PM

Hello and good day sir-I am ringing to say we have great hearing aids -can you hear me??
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 02:48 PM

Here is another one I have just been warned about:

Fraudsters are sending out a high volume of phishing emails to personal and business email addresses, pretending to come from various email addresses, which have been compromised.

The subject line contains the recipient’s name, and the main body of text is as below:

“Hi, [name]!

I am disturbing you for a very serious reason. Although we are not familiar, but I have significant amount of individual info concerning you. The thing is that, most likely mistakenly, the data of your account has been emailed to me.

For instance, your address is:

[real home address]

I am a law-abiding citizen, so I decided to personal data may have been hacked. I attached the file – [surname].dot that I received, that you could explore what info has become obtainable for scammers. File password is – 2811

Best Wishes,”

Then apparently there is an attachment too.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 04:22 PM

Never
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 04:22 PM

Answer
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

12-04-2017, 04:23 PM

The phone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top