Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 02:47 PM

Do you follow the same

occupation as your father/ Mother /grandparents and back further.?
Buying and selling is in one side of my family going back hundreds of years .
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 03:33 PM

Re: Do you follow the same

No not at all.

My Mother and Father both worked at Simpsons Tailers, my Father was a Tailer and my Mother machined Pockets in suits. I have always been a Secretary/Office Girl.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 03:37 PM

No - my Father was an engineer toolmaker. Put any mechanical tool in my hand and I am dangerous!!!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 03:38 PM

I have in a way
My brothers and I have all ended up in lecturing/teaching/training jobs and there were many teachers and Headmasters on my father's side going back at least 3 generations
(my father was an Industrial Chemist due to being orphaned at 17 and unabe to go to Uni like his brothers)

On mum's side, grandad was a baker and his dad a miner
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 04:58 PM

My dad was a painter and decorator, as, I think was his dad, he was adamant that I would not follow him, as I think he secretly hated it, he was also a very good artist, I remember him drawing a large mural on a wall at home with the intention of painting it, but soon erased it as I think he felt ashamed of it,( I guess things were different back then) ,he could also sign write .I remember him always being in demand and could get a job at any decorating company, me, on the other hand, started as an electrician that somehow migrated into a service engineer, but I wish now I'd had been a...painter and decorator!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 05:04 PM

My great gran and my nan were both in service, later years nan cleaned houses, my mum was an office cleaner and I'm an office cleaner so make of that what you will
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 05:29 PM

My Dad was a C.I.D. officer in the Met Police. I failed the medical when I was nineteen due to colour blindness. His brother was the Governor of Southern Rhodesia as it was back then.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 05:47 PM

My dad was a master printer. But he died when I was 6.
My mother was a tailoress, and taught me to sow and other things that tailors do.
But after leaving the army where I was taught to kill, I had 13 different occupations until I done the London knowledge (15 months) and became a cab driver.
My son has followed in my footsteps. And also is one of London's finest.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 06:11 PM

Mum worked in offices on and off, while we were growing up. She delivered Luncheon Vouchers for awhile, then ended up being a BT telephonist.

Dad was, as long as I could remember, a self employed painter and decorator, with a partner, but followed Mum into BT employment.

I started life in an office, going on to learn all the secretarial stuff.

There was a time when I had a break from office work, and was a cashier in a petrol station. I had to climb onto the tanker after a delivery and dip the tank to ensure it was empty! I worked with a couple of bitches and left. One of them turned up so late to relieve me on a shift I was almost fainting with hunger. She had the gall to be angry when I complained to her! An utter, utter bitch!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
There was a time when I had a break from office work, and was a cashier in a petrol station. I had to climb onto the tanker after a delivery and dip the tank to ensure it was empty! I worked with a couple of bitches and left. One of them turned up so late to relieve me on a shift I was almost fainting with hunger. She had the gall to be angry when I complained to her! An utter, utter bitch!
Tell us where she lives Jazzi
I'm sure OFF pillow squad can organise a visit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top