Join for free
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 08:46 AM

Memory Lane

1718: Pirate Edward Teach (Blackbeard) is killed in a gunfight with a naval boarding party off North Carolina.

1764 History credits James Hargreaves with inventing the first Spinning Jenny, but it had been designed and built years before by an obscure artisan from Leigh called Thomas Highs.

1774 Robert Clive, English soldier often referred to as 'Clive of India', died, possibly from an overdose of opium. It may have been suicide, but suicide was regarded as a sin, and if this had been admitted by his family he would not have been allowed a church burial. As it is, his grave was unmarked and remains so.

1808 Birth of Thomas Cook, the English travel agent. He began his pioneering tour business, Thomas Cook & Son, when he organized the first publicly advertised railway excursion to a temperance meeting on 5 July 1841.

1869 The launch of the English sailing ship the Cutty Sark.

1946 The first Biro ballpoint pen went on sale, invented by Hungarian Laszlo Biro and manufactured by a British company.

1963: US President John F Kennedy is assassinated by lone gunman Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas.

1971 Five teenagers, all from Ainslie Park School in Edinburgh, and their female instructor died in one of Scotland's worst mountaineering accidents.

1977 The world's first supersonic airliner, Concorde, was given permission to fly into New York's Kennedy Airport following an agreement over noise levels.

1990: Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher announces her resignation after 11 years as premier.

Oh! yes plus,
1957, I met my wife and and fell in love with her.Today that love is stronger than ever.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Re: Memory Lane

Oh I love History! Those are great and I especially liked "1957", AB, great to see that your love for your wife is still as strong today as it was then - very refreshing!

Many thanks for the History facts!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 03:18 PM

This is a great Memory Lane thread, AB ....... I hope a lot more important dates will be added to it...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 07:23 PM

Thomas Cook deserves a lot of praise for opening up the World to the less well off. I don't think we'll ever know the truth about the Kennedy assassination. Don't know anything about the 'Cutty Sark' except that we had an old pub on Dublins Quays called 'The Cutty Sark', must have put in there sometime in the past.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 09:11 PM

If Kennedy were shot today(with due respect to all on the BBC cricket team)

He`s on his way and oh my not a pigeon over the gas tower but something much more serious-Aggers did you see that?

It seems to be serious-we will have to wait for Hawkeye to show where it pitched and was it on the body?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2010, 09:58 PM

1492 - Columbus "discovers" America (after the unheralded Vikings)

1929 - the Great Depression begins

1865 - President Lincoln assssinated

1941 Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor

1945 - WWII ends

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top