Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2017, 03:55 PM

Happy Memories.

Remembering Mum sitting there with two loaves of bread and seven plates, doing toast on the end of a fork in front of a real fire with 7 hungry kids whining “mine next!! Then slathering it with real Kerrygold butter for us, even though we were quite capable of doing it ourselves.

Home-made jam tarts by the trayful, us kids with burnt tongues because too impatient to wait for them to cool down.

The lovely aroma when we would come home from school to find mum had been baking apple pies, Irish soda bread and currant loaves.

Mum meeting all 7 of us in the park every school lunchtime because she couldn’t afford to pay the 5 shillings per child per week for school dinners. Boy, those ham & tomato or cheese sandwiches, yesterday’s iced buns from the local baker, blue ribands or small kitkat's, crisps, lemonade, orange or cherry Corona pop and two huge flasks of hot soup or sweetened tea tasted better than any dinner! How did the poor woman carry that lot 1.˝ miles from home???

All our friends wanting to meet at our house because mum made such a fuss of them and spoiled everyone.

No matter what, always laughing.

That was my mum. Such happy, fond, loving memories.

Do you have any happy memories when you think of your childhood?.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2017, 04:00 PM

Re: Happy Memories.

Your mum sounds lovely Shropshire girl.

My mum did her best for me but she had to work full time.

I do have happy memories of family trips to the seaside and the excitement of catching the train.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2017, 06:11 PM

My head mistress calling out my name when I got to swim 100 yards and enter the water head first. I was so proud

But of course my father had swum the channel before he was 9.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2017, 06:35 PM

I am embarrassed to say this but my mother who worked, used to leave us baby bottles of warm sweetened milk wrapped in towels to keep it warm for us children to have when we came home from school!
I must have been about seven?!! l do still have my teeth and they are good!
She also made lovely Soda bread that she sold to the local bakers shop. All her other cooking was disastrous!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2017, 07:09 PM

Sitting on the rocks in Perranporth Cornwall with my Gran bring down her home made proper Cornish pasties cooked in a coal AGA oven with the meat juice running out of it. Anyone sitting nearby had their mouths watering with the aroma they produced. I could eat one now.These were not these silly shop bought rubbish with mince in,these were huge double handed jobs crimped across the top as they should be made
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Camping in Devon and Cornwall.

When we reached the campsite the back doors of the Dormobile would fly open releasing my sister and myself along with several beach balls, tennis rackets and a Swingball.

Then my Dad would put up the tent sporting his long hair, moustache and purple vest. My Mum's first job was to get the kettle on.

Fun times.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Remembering Mum sitting there with two loaves of bread and seven plates, doing toast on the end of a fork in front of a real fire with 7 hungry kids whining “mine next!! Then slathering it with real Kerrygold butter for us, even though we were quite capable of doing it ourselves.

Home-made jam tarts by the trayful, us kids with burnt tongues because too impatient to wait for them to cool down.

The lovely aroma when we would come home from school to find mum had been baking apple pies, Irish soda bread and currant loaves.

Mum meeting all 7 of us in the park every school lunchtime because she couldn’t afford to pay the 5 shillings per child per week for school dinners. Boy, those ham & tomato or cheese sandwiches, yesterday’s iced buns from the local baker, blue ribands or small kitkat's, crisps, lemonade, orange or cherry Corona pop and two huge flasks of hot soup or sweetened tea tasted better than any dinner! How did the poor woman carry that lot 1.˝ miles from home???

All our friends wanting to meet at our house because mum made such a fuss of them and spoiled everyone.

No matter what, always laughing.

That was my mum. Such happy, fond, loving memories.

Do you have any happy memories when you think of your childhood?.

Ooooohhhh - that brings back memories!!! - sitting on the mat in front of the fire with the toasting fork and a slice of bread - and when toasted being smothered, not with butter or margarine but beef dripping and salt!!!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ooooohhhh - that brings back memories!!! - sitting on the mat in front of the fire with the toasting fork and a slice of bread - and when toasted being smothered, not with butter or margarine but beef dripping and salt!!!

Oh yum yum. Beef dripping on toast is my favourite food..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2017, 09:08 AM

what about the roasting chestnuts in the ashes under the lounge coal fire

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top