Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 03:22 PM

Are you materialistic?

Do you have a yearning for the finer things in life, buy on impulse or like to show off in front of your friends with the latest gadgets? I have a friend who, although a very good mate, always makes a point of telling me how much something cost as if to impress me. It doesn't.

Through being materialistic many years ago I spent a fortune on credit cards, paying accumulative loans back for the rest of my life, plus selling many of my treasured record collection to get back on track. This resulted in me being the total opposite as regards wanting the latest fads etc. My only real squandering of cash now is spent on buying rock t-shirts, an addictive 'hobby' and I always have a few concerts lined up as well.

Having an everyday decent, reliable car to get me to work and the odd day trip suits me fine. I use a Samsung galaxy Ace phone which is five years old, because anything more snazzy isn't necessary to me - I get what I want on there. I have one 32" basic TV. The house is solid and secure and I have paid off my mortgage. I now live within my means, I'm happy with my life and need nothing more than the essentials. We may splash out occasionally on a new car or something, but that is a necessity.

On the subject of holidays, going out to restaurants and pubs are not materialistic values - they are those essential wind-down times for relaxing at the end of the working week, which you have earned.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 03:28 PM

Re: Are you materialistic?

I don't think so really we do like to have a nice holiday but have always camped of caravanned so hardly glamorous.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think so really we do like to have a nice holiday but have always camped of caravanned so hardly glamorous.
They are not materialist things, Julie. As I mentioned, our weekends/holidays away are our reward for working hard and we deserve a break.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Hi

I really do not give two hoots about most things some consider essential.

Far more concerned with health and happiness than a flash house, car or the latest mobile.

I do spend money on my fishing and the occasional good bottle of wine, but then I enjoy those.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I really do not give two hoots about most things some consider essential.

Far more concerned with health and happiness than a flash house, car or the latest mobile.

I do spend money on my fishing and the occasional good bottle of wine, but then I enjoy those.
This is what it's all about isn't it, Swimfeeders. As long as we live within our means and have enough left over for the odd indulgence then why need anything more in life?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 03:48 PM

Well I'd say not then all our furnishings and tv etc are second hand, I make most of our clothing. We have very few electricals really. Our smart phones are cubots one of the cheapest you can buy.

Perhaps we are a bit too proud of not spending much though, that can be as tedious to others as being materialistic sometimes
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 03:56 PM

I spend my money on gadgets, computers, a nice camera, but certainly don't flash them about.

My car is 14 years 1 month old. My iPhone is >5 years old, the iPad is >4. My last extravagant holiday was NZ/Singapore 5 years ago (Feb/March), funded by the interest earned on a maturing bond.

I live within my means too, but am not bothered by flashy things, and certainly not to impress. Hmmmph! As if the people in my circles would be impressed anyway!

But saying this, I DO possess more than say, what my siblings own. It's just me: put me in Maplins, or PC World/Currys, and I'd be as happy as a pig in doo doo, and would more than likely come home with something new.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 04:03 PM

I would say no I am not materialistic and I have never bought anything on hire purchase or owed a penny to anyone ( except for a mortgage)

Some of my clothes are 15-20 years old, my 4 pairs of shoes all came from Ebay but they were 'unworn'.

I am not interested in 'the latest' anything. I try always to buy quality goods that will last.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Nope, none of the above. I am very much a people person.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Not really - We have a lot of nice things, but they are almost all bargains from charity shops or car boot sales. The only thing we don't scrimp on is food (and coffee).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top