Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 10:49 PM

How to be careful with online companies

I have just research a company as a member of another web forum is having trouble getting photographic goods. The company I looked into didn't seem to appear on companies house register but it may have been there and I missed it
Their tele no started with 087++++++ which was a fax number. Googleing it came up with at least 4/5 other companies with the same fax number, not unusual but started my alarm bells ringing. Also they only quoted a PO box number, bells ringing even louder.

Going deeper into my research trust pilot came up with some interesting comments from purchasers still waiting for goods. Further still they seem to be operating from different parts of Europe, nothing wrong with that but a little strange for what they were selling and the web page came from the continent as well.
Still that is what the poster on that forum should have checked out as well ,and that is what I advised

So before making any on line purchase check address not one with a PO addy - check tele numbers ( you can find out a lot about the company this way)- look up companies house where you will find limited information for free- pay by paypal and credit card via paypal. Search for reviews as well.

These simple checks won't prove it is a genuine company but go a long way to protect your investment
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 11:15 PM

Re: How to be careful with online companies

Good advice I do that already Bazza ...
Years ago before the advent of the internet my uncle purchased a garage from an advertisement in a magazine.
He paid up front not knowing the company was going into receivership and he lost every penny.
It taught me to choose where I buy with care.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:00 AM

yes Meg

There are so many scams out there on the net with people wanting to get hold of your money in so many different ways. pretending to be a bank or building society or even paypal.

We all must have now heard about being left money by someone abroad and wanting to deposit the money in your bank account etc scam

Ringing you saying you have a fault with your computer and instructing you on how to let them remotely fix it. All they are after is and bank details you computer may have even though you think you have hidden (encripted) them. if they can break into USA security systems yours is like money on a plate.

Have a call logger on the phone BT charge very little to have it added.That way you can see who is calling before you pick up. We have a call blocker as well on ours that came with the phone.

easy rules to follow

Shred burn any letters or post with your details on it even your address, unless you keep it for reference.

Don't fill in forms from companies who shove fliers through the letter box

Don't give any information from cold telephone callers claiming to be conducting a survey or door stop sales people.

If in doubt look up in yellow pages -utility bills or on the net the correct tele number, not one you are told.

If a bank or building society do contact you they won't ask for any details but just pass on information but usually done by post anyway.

Never give out credit/debit card to someone/ business your not sure of

Paypal do have a pay after delivery option which one should always use

Even buying a second hand car have a Vehicle History Check first, even from a garage, it only costs a few pounds and could save you thousands.
My son was going to buy a car and I did a VHC check and it was an accident rightoff, so he learned almost the hard way
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 06:37 AM

A good range of advice RS. Just add that the tax office don't send out emails, and when I received suspect emails from my bank, I printed them and handed them over the counter for bank security staff to log.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 08:19 AM

I have another way of buying safely, simply don't use any site that doesn't take PayPal. That way no one gets my bank details and I can get a refund easily if things don't work out. That and Amazon stocks most things and again refunds are easy.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-04-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have another way of buying safely, simply don't use any site that doesn't take PayPal. That way no one gets my bank details and I can get a refund easily if things don't work out. That and Amazon stocks most things and again refunds are easy.
Amazon have been known ,at least in the photographic world, to source their stock unknownly from suspect companies.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Amazon have been known ,at least in the photographic world, to source their stock unknownly from suspect companies.
While that's possible I've always found they refund if the worst happens.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 01:16 PM

I seem to get several calls a week from people who want me to switch my computer on etc but I get rid of them toot sweet by just saying "sorry, Mrs ....... isn't here, I'm the doggysitter!" They soon hang up!

I well remember when those dodgy overseas Lottery Winner glossy brochures arrived in the post with your actual name printed on it, first came out. My brother received one and was quite excited that he had won......until I pointed out to him that it was impossible for him to have been a winner when he had never bought a lottery ticket", its a Scam" Daft beggar!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Also be aware of Free Samples of Cosmentic creams that are going to make you look twenty years younger. Hair Lotion that makes your hair grow to your waist. Tablets that increase your lifespan to at least 100 years old, and Slimming Tablets that make you loose a stone overnight, [probably spend all night on the toilet]
You pay for the post and pack usually £5.00 and they need your Bank details and Credit Card details as well.

But if you have not got eyes like a Hawk, you will miss the minute small print saying you have agreed to have a monthly supply of these goods at £50 to £70 per month
Try and cancel and your Emails will get ignored and no one will answer the phone ..and they pay Celebs to appear who mostly have had cosmetic surgery or botox.
A lot of it is rubbish
The only way to stop them taking money from your Bank account is to ask your Bank to put a stop on the company.
Thats why you see them on Ebay, people trying to get some money back.

'Caveat emptor'

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top