Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 11:51 AM

But I don't approve !

I'm a bit annoyed, grace went to a friends house at the weekend and we've had nightmares since. Just got it out of her in the night that they were allowed to watch a horror film about zombies at the girls house. Totally not what I would allow her to see here, an 18 chert I think.

I rang the mum and was told grace must be a bit weak to let it affect her ! No she's 9 and very much a strong girl but like me doesn't like gore and horror films.

I explained I'd rather they not show 9 year olds a much too old for them film and was told she can't tell them what they can watch !

So no more visits to that home I think which is a shame.

Chatting to mums at school gate many wanted laws on what could be shown in homes to under 18 s, I'm not sure that's necessary but after this chat to the friends mum I'm changing my mind rapidly to thinking perhaps we do need a law change.

I'd include games in the law too looking at some of the games the boys were allowed to play at other boys homes when they were far too young to understand killing and maiming are permanent in real life !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 12:15 PM

Re: But I don't approve !

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm a bit annoyed, grace went to a friends house at the weekend and we've had nightmares since. Just got it out of her in the night that they were allowed to watch a horror film about zombies at the girls house. Totally not what I would allow her to see here, an 18 chert I think.

I rang the mum and was told grace must be a bit weak to let it affect her ! No she's 9 and very much a strong girl but like me doesn't like gore and horror films.

I explained I'd rather they not show 9 year olds a much too old for them film and was told she can't tell them what they can watch !

So no more visits to that home I think which is a shame.

Chatting to mums at school gate many wanted laws on what could be shown in homes to under 18 s, I'm not sure that's necessary but after this chat to the friends mum I'm changing my mind rapidly to thinking perhaps we do need a law change.

I'd include games in the law too looking at some of the games the boys were allowed to play at other boys homes when they were far too young to understand killing and maiming are permanent in real life !
I would be hopping mad if a young child of mine was exposed to what you have described. The girl's parent are obviously not the sort of people who can be trusted with a child, that is for sure.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 12:30 PM

I don't blame you for not approving Julie, I believe that what youngsters are exposed to these days does desensitize them to the more gruesome aspects of the world and will have a drastic effect in later life.

But because it is so easily obtained these days though, I can't think for the life of me how we will prevent them witnessing it, we can't be behind them every minute of every day.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 12:32 PM

I hope these aren't the same parents who are going to take Grace on holiday with them, Julie
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 12:35 PM

I have never understood why anyone would want to watch such stuff, but to show it to a child is appalling. You really do wonder about the mentality of some so called adults...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I hope these aren't the same parents who are going to take Grace on holiday with them, Julie
No that's a different couple they are very much on the same side as me in this. They've arranged a trip to see a fairy grotto for the girls they are very excited about and several animal related trips too. They are going badger watching late one night that's got the girls excited as neither are allowed up past 9pm at home so this midnight or possibly later trip has inspired them to beg for a midnight feast when they get back.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

31-03-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I have never understood why anyone would want to watch such stuff, but to show it to a child is appalling. You really do wonder about the mentality of some so called adults...
Well I'll be honest I can't watch them myself they give me nightmares and working late in the evening make me a nervous wreck. It's not hard to keep kids away from this sort of stuff if you don't have it at home they won't see it. Or at least not as easily.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No that's a different couple they are very much on the same side as me in this. They've arranged a trip to see a fairy grotto for the girls they are very excited about and several animal related trips too. They are going badger watching late one night that's got the girls excited as neither are allowed up past 9pm at home so this midnight or possibly later trip has inspired them to beg for a midnight feast when they get back.
Sounds like it will be an exciting time for Grace and her friend .... far better than zombie films
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

31-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sounds like it will be an exciting time for Grace and her friend .... far better than zombie films
It does I was wondering if there might me room in a suitcase for me
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2017, 01:22 PM

I don't think it should be against the law for children to watch them at home, mainly because children will always find a way of doing things they are not yet old enough to do, but I do think these parents should have asked if it would be alright for Grace to watch them, beforehand.
If children are going to view things before the recommended age, I think I would prefer to know about it, than have it happen when there is no adult for them to turn to.... be it for a security cuddle or to answer questions.
Sadly age is no way to judge whether a child can cope with some films, their parents opinion is usually the best way to establish that..... because they know them better!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top