Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 05:12 PM

A cautionary tale

Ive been saying for a while that I should get a new PC mine is I found out about 10 years old..

It seemed to cope with the upgrade to windows 10 ok and so Ive been plodding along doing my thing and getting on ok but I knew it was a relic in computer terms.
Then last Thursday the dreaded windows 10 decided to do an update and my pc had what can only be described as a nervous breakdown.

Its working but has reverted to factory settings so Im working in windows 7 again which seems really weird but worse that that all the files and photos I hadnt backed up are gone.

Luckily I do post an awful lot to FB so all is not lost I can recover some, and my dog is the most photgraphed dog in the world so I will be able to get all of his recent photos off FB..

I just hadnt had time recently and so Ive lost a lot of pretty stuff.. Sunrises, views birds etc and about 100 photos of our wedding annivesary day out in February that I hadnt backed up.

Im gutted and angry with myself. But resolute not to get caught out again.

Does anyone back up everything on a daily basis and if so how do you find the time?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Re: A cautionary tale

Why not go Open Source ?
I use Linux Ubuntu on my laptop and back up to Dropbox or Photobucket, Dropbox syncs automatically.
The main benefit of Linux is it is constantly being improved and it is free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 05:36 PM

After a similar disaster I stopped storing it digitally and any I want to keep I print out and keep a physical copy. It's got me back into scrap booking which is nice too.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Are you sure that they are not all there on Onedrive?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Every now and again I back up on a memory stick .
I lost just about everything when my computer updated to windows 10
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Julie1962;1120600]After a similar disaster I stopped storing it digitally and any I want to keep I print out and keep a physical copy. It's got me back into scrap booking which is nice too.[/QUOTE

Julie I do print some of the best snaps for a photo album. I just take so many especially of the dogs and enjoy browsing through them.

Bruv..

you lost me in the first three words ...I will consult my tech savvie daughter about your suggestion!
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 06:56 PM

Have you tried the free program from Piriform called 'RECUVA'. It's designed to get back lost or accidentally deleted files.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 06:56 PM

As I understand it Windows 10 automatically uploads a lot of your files, in particular photos, to their Cloud service called Onedrive. I think you have to tell it not to do so, your photos may still exist.
Cass
NL

26-03-2017, 07:15 PM

Ok thanks for the tip Purwell...
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

26-03-2017, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Ok thanks for the tip Purwell...
I'm not sure how to find them though! I have found some that I thought I had lost, but they were not in any particular order.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top