Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Refusing to go Home

A friend of a friend had a hip operation last week,she is up and walking around, shower/ washed hair etc. but she refuses to go home,three days running the hospital have told her she can go home, but she refuses. The hospital have told her they are having 7 more patients coming in ,and need the beds, but she still wont go.
I wonder if they can force her somehow?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:02 PM

Re: Refusing to go Home

Originally Posted by deylon ->
A friend of a friend had a hip operation last week,she is up and walking around, shower/ washed hair etc. but she refuses to go home,three days running the hospital have told her she can go home, but she refuses. The hospital have told her they are having 7 more patients coming in ,and need the beds, but she still wont go.
I wonder if they can force her somehow?
Does the friend have someone at home to keep an eye on her, Deylon? Why does she refuse to go home?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:48 PM

How strange, if she's up and about you'd think she'd want to get back in her own surroundings.
Seems a little selfish as others, obviously, need an operation and she's blocking a bed.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:58 PM

Nothing strange about it...some enjoy the attention...it's far more enjoyable being looked after, being around other folks and being fed.

Sad...but true.

No...that's not the reason I'm back
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Nothing strange about it...some enjoy the attention...it's far more enjoyable being looked after, being around other folks and being fed.

Sad...but true.
Yes, I think some probably do enjoy it - but all those germs, ugh!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 10:37 PM

I wonder how prevalent this is.

Obviously, I've heard of bed blocking, but assumed that this was due to unsuitable places to house the discharged patients.

In my humble opinion, if the well patient has a home to go to and is capable of looking after themselves or being looked after, they should be forcibly removed if necessary.

Depriving others of necessary treatment or care is unacceptable in my book.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 10:48 PM

Is this a common occurrence in the UK - - -not enough beds for the population? As I'm from the US, I'm not familiar with your system, except for looking up to a universal system which we still don't have, over here. In fact, at present, our newly elected pres and congress are in the process of dismantling part of what we do have?? It won't affect me, for the most part but I fear for those less fortunate. They will be the ones, paying for the cuts, some with their lives!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 10:52 PM

Sometimes some sick folks don't need a bed, they just need a chair, or even the ability to walk about a bit.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 11:01 PM

It is quite frightening being post-op after a hip op. I had to look after my mum after hers and you have to be so careful in the first few weeks. But also you need to have the right height chair and bed.

They do discharge too early IMO. My mum was up and walking on day 2 and discharged on day four. She had us all helping her at homeI felt it was too early. The idea is that the sooner you are out of hospital the better the outcome because you heal better when you're not in a hospital bed and there's less chance of an infection at home. The district nurses came to change dressings. But I found it more scary than when she had her heart op because you can't really relax for about 12 weeks as if anything is likely to go wrong it happens at the start and if you're old and on your own that must be terrifying.

I hope this lady has some supportive relatives or friends who can help her feel more reassured. It sounds like she may be very anxious which in itself is a medical condition.

It's just an example of why there is so much bed blocking. You need a halfway house for people like this. They used to have the rehab beds in community hospitals where people could recover if they could not go home alone.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 11:50 PM

Does anyone remember the case only recently where a chap had been in a hospital for months and refused to leave?
I can't remember all the details now, but I remember it being in the papers, and us talking about it on here.

Do you know her reasons for not wanting to leave Deylon?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top