Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 08:15 AM

Fridays falling from the sky

Good morning everyone

The weather is wet, windy, cold and at the moment dark, and as I have just got an invitation from the fireside I may just take it up, if only Dylan would let us.

Have a wonderful day everyone and if you remember just one person who has left us then their life will not have been in vain.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Re: Fridays falling from the sky

Good morning

if you remember just one person who has left us then their life will not have been in vain.

Sorry I am not sure what you mean?
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Good Morning AB, DS and Everyone and hope you all have a good day today. Not good bonfire and fireworks weather and hope it stays this way to stop the louts firing fireworks at random!

Take care and stay safe!
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 09:55 AM

I loved bonfire night when I was a child. When very small we just had a smallish bonfire but loads of fireworks. My uncles who were unattached and daft with it, always livened up the evening with their antics, not to my mother's approval. They bought £5 worth of fireworks each, quite a lot of money in the 50s, but they could well afford it. They would challenge each other to hold onto the rockets after lighting them, before they have to let go! One year they brought rocket flares from their boat. Highly illegal I am sure, and VERY stupid on a small island!

As we got older Dad would organise large bonfire parties for the youth of our church and others, we often had 100+ people and a HUGE bonfire. Dad would take the opportunity to clear out all the year's rubbish from his horticultural business and burn it. One year he decided to clear out the large attic room, which ran the length of our house. It hadn't been cleared out for about 100 years. The tractor was put beneath a door, which opened directly from the actic to outside, no safety rails or anything! All the stuff was chucked into the trailer, without much thought to what was going into it! A four poster bed was one of the items. (I weep when I see things turning up at the Antiques Road show, and worth a lot of money, similar to the stuff consigned to that bonfire!) Fortunately the bonfire, which ended up as high as the house, had been errected in one of our field some distance from the house, because when lit the thing exploded! It turned out the workmen had put a big box of ammunition, left over from the Germans who occupied the house during WW2. Thank goodness no human was hurt, only the cows in the field were rather more than shaken!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Hi everyone!

Gloomy and wet day here, it will certainly put the damper on many of the organised firework displays this evening. We will just have to be prepared for more bangs and whizzes over the weekend!

Have a good day all, take care, stay safe and make sure your pets are safely indoors.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Friday already!? Have a nice weekend all!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 04:23 PM

It's been horrible here today, wet and damp. Were having trouble with Asti and the fireworks going off all around, she wont go out at all so were just keeping her in. She wont go out for her evening walk or even in the garden with the loud bangs. Be glad when it's all over.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 04:41 PM

Hi all! A lovely day after yesterday's gloom and 1.43" of rain. Sunny, windy, 8 C (46 F), but nice to have the sun back. No errand day, just boring chores after a lie-in... I am getting lazier as I get older Homemade soup tonight.

DS, loved the bonfire story!

Hope the fireworks tonight aren't too scary for the furries; Happy Guy Fawkes day, all.
Dancingsky
None

05-11-2010, 05:57 PM

DS, loved the bonfire story!

Thanks DM.

I just hope people don't think I am exaggerating when I relate anecdotes of my childhood etc. I know some of them seem incredible but I can assure people they are absolutely true!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2010, 11:04 PM

Usual sort of Friday-walking this morning and then after dinner few jobs. Then met my friend and we took the dogs on long walk to try and tire them before the fireworks started going off! By the end of the walk both of us, and the dogs, looked like we had just stepped out of a shower.....it rained that hard it even went through my waterproof jacket! Paths were flooded and it had brought most of the leaves off the trees! But never mind, the forecast is good for the weekend, but turning a lot colder....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top