Join for free
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Tipping Point

A question about fruit seeds. Apple pips contain a small amount of Cyanide.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 09:51 PM

Re: Tipping Point

Yes, the apple pips contain amygdalin, which is a compound cyanide-sugar molecule. It only releases the cyanide in the gut if the pip is chewed or broken, exposing the molecule to stomach enzymes, which digest the sugar from the molecule, leaving the cyanide molecule to decompose and release poisonous hydrogen cyanide.
Given the tiny amount of cyanide released, you'd probably have to eat your weight in apples to ingest a lethal dose!

Amygdalin is present in higher amounts inside the stones of quite a few fruits, like greengages, apricots, cherries etc.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 10:20 PM

Can I take the money
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
Yes, the apple pips contain amygdalin, which is a compound cyanide-sugar molecule. It only releases the cyanide in the gut if the pip is chewed or broken, exposing the molecule to stomach enzymes, which digest the sugar from the molecule, leaving the cyanide molecule to decompose and release poisonous hydrogen cyanide.
Given the tiny amount of cyanide released, you'd probably have to eat your weight in apples to ingest a lethal dose!

Amygdalin is present in higher amounts inside the stones of quite a few fruits, like greengages, apricots, cherries etc.
I never realised that, Boot, thank you.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Yep! I was always told that apple pips and grape pips caused appendicitis. I don't know if that's true but being as I had mine out when I was five, it's never bothered me.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 09:03 PM

Thanks Boot, Longdogs, will slice everything from now on.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Can I take the money
Or ask a friend? Everyday is a learning experience on here..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yep! I was always told that apple pips and grape pips caused appendicitis. I don't know if that's true but being as I had mine out when I was five, it's never bothered me.
Oh, it's much worse than that.

My mum used to tell me that if I ate a seed it would make a tree grow inside me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
oh, it's much worse than that.

My mum used to tell me that if i ate a seed it would make a tree grow inside me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top