Join for free
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 10:22 AM

House of Lords - non political thread

Has anyone been watching this amazing series.

I find it a fascinating insight into the workings of the House of Lords and Government.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Re: House of Lords - non political thread

Yes, I've been watching it.

I'm afraid that the theme which goes constantly through my mind is, how can we manage to fund this exclusive private club with all its beneficial amenities?

And how do we, the ordinary citizens, benefit from it?
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 01:01 PM

I suppose that can be said the monarchy as well. Not that I am anti royalist.

I just enjoyed seeing that politicians on all sides can cooperate to try and get bills passed if needs be.

The history and heritage of the buildings is amazing.

I think I must just like pomp and ceremony.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Not seen it I always think it best I don't I might not appreciate the money spent on it.
Goldielocks
Spain

07-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not seen it I always think it best I don't I might not appreciate the money spent on it.

It's quite good Julie. If you can ignore the political overtones, which I did. It's the processes of working government. You can tell some MPS work hard to get their bills passed. It was good to see many women have achieved their titles of Baroness .

There are a lot of stuffed shirts but that goes with most the job I suppose.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 04:39 PM

I know myself too well to know I can never ignore political matters. I'm glad you're enjoying though. My husband would likely like it too I'll suggest if to him.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
I suppose that can be said the monarchy as well. Not that I am anti royalist.
I disagree. I feel that the country benefits from having the Queen. She is an effective ambassador and also pulls in the tourists.

In my opinion, the Lords does nothing other than looking after itself.
Goldielocks
Spain

08-03-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I disagree. I feel that the country benefits from having the Queen. She is an effective ambassador and also pulls in the tourists.

In my opinion, the Lords does nothing other than looking after itself.
So the part where they closed the Lords for the day completely refurbish and put the Queens throne in for her to speak to the ministers is still classed as looking after itself. Ok. As I said this was a unpolitical thread and I am enjoying the series

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top