Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Street Photography

On my day out in London twice i was told not to take a photo , one was a Car placed in a glass building on 2nd floor right at side of the window as if it was window display .
I thought it would be one to show my family when i got home , but a man in a suit standing at the entrance of the building made me aware he didnt want me to take it .

The second time was when going round Camden Market a stall with mannequins in black Goth dress caught my eye , and i aimed to shoot when the stall holder drew my attention to a sign saying no photos to be taken , Going further along there was more store holders with signs up saying no photos .

Have anyone else come across this when out taking photos ?
and it being on public display do they have a right to say no photos .?
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Re: Street Photography

How odd.

If it's an inaminate object what's the harm.

I haven't come across before though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 04:22 PM

Hi

On public display, in a public place, go ahead is my view.

There is guidance here.

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/photographyadvice

There are a number of restricted places, such as Royal Naval Dockyards, but these are very well signposted.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 04:23 PM

Ive seen that too.

Im not sure if its because the stall holder is worried he /she is selling fakes or if they shouldnt be working or if they are really worried that someone might rip off their work..
The red light district in Amsterdam is also off limits to cameras!

If I go to stately homes or museums I always ask beforehand just to make sure and if asked not to or to turn off my flash I always abide by the rules.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 05:18 PM

It depends on where you are stood.

If you are on private property then the owners of that property are within their rights to prohibit photography.

With very few exceptions, if you are stood in a public place - you can take photos of anything that you can see, and that includes people. Even if your subject is on private property. What you CAN get into trouble for is what you do with those photos and any implications that your photos make. For example if you took a candid shot of 4 teenagers sat on a public bench - fine. If you then used that photo in a press article that said 1 in 4 teenagers is a drug user, you could be in for trouble.

Too many jobsworth security guards about that have little or no understanding of the law. I find it easier to just move on and photograph something else. But - on a few occasions when they've been particularly obnoxious I've persisted and only once have they called the Police only to be told to stop wasting Police time. I was once stopped by the Police in Manchester and asked what I was doing. I explained about documentary street photography and they were fine.

Another point to note is that nobody can demand to see the photos on your camera or demand you delete them. They could get a court warrant to confiscate your camera but they'd have to be damned sure you were behaving in a way as to prepare for or facilitate a crime.

I was once yelled at by a PCSO because she just happened to be in a street scene I was photographing. She demanded I delete the photograph because she said it was illegal to photograph the Police on duty. So I then asked if I'd committed a crime. She said yes, I had committed a crime. I then asked her to clarify that she was asking me to delete the evidence of a crime. I think her tiny brain blew a fuse at that point and she wandered off. They are a lot better informed these days thankfully!
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 05:19 PM

I am always on the defensive about taking photos in public.

It is an act of courtesy to put the camera away if someone politely asks you not to. I can understand displays of artwork, because selling it may be their livelihood and I would always ask permission first - to me, that's polite.

However, if you are in a public place and the object is in public view, as far as I'm concerned, you have every right to take a photo - notwithstanding causing an obstruction etc. If they don't want their goods photographed, they should remove them from public view. i.e. put them inside a premises.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 06:18 PM

Thanks for replies everyone , I was on a public right of way taking both photos no people was in the shots ,But it did put me on my guard as to what i could take . I do take a lot of building photos and never thought it would or could be a problem ..And it is the first time ever id been asked not to .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 06:31 PM

Eliza you found jobsworths, you can get a card to slip in your purse with photographers rights on it so if they argue you cn show them the error of their ways.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

05-03-2017, 06:34 PM

Where do you get these cards from Nom ?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 06:39 PM

Some links Eliza.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...em-handy-19949

http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...hts-in-the-uk/

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/photographyadvice

I believe some photography stores can stock them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top