Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 02:26 PM

An unwillingness to admit I'm getting old and frightened of change.

A few days ago I started a thread about becoming unemployed...and how my days felt empty and trying to adjust.

I had a lot of replies offering advice....how others had filled their days etc. all of which I appreciated.

I made a throwaway remark that I'd taken no notice and gone to work that day.....the remark was a bit of self-deprecation....a p*** take on how I'd only been unemployed for less than 5 days and already I was struggling.

This comment attracted a couple of negative replies...at first I couldn't understand why(and spat my dummy out)....on reflection I shouldn't have assumed people can read minds.

Anyway....one of the replies, from a guy I respect greatly, his determination and dedication is to be admired(OGF), struck a chord...

This was his reply

Alas Tpin, after all the years of either being told what to do, or as in self employment, instinctively knowing what to do, you are now faced with the problem of deciding how to fill up your time. If there's one thing I do know, and that is, as you enter into this time of inactivity and you choose not to walk, run or visit the gym, there will come a time [not too far off] when you won't have the choice. Your body will slowly close you down, and all the things that you thought you could still do will no longer be possible. If you don't use it, you will lose it!.......

Morning is the best time of day for going for a walk. You don't need a dog to go out for a walk. Like Realspeed says, take your camera/Phone and just look round and see what wonders there are round every corner. See who has built what, see the changing faces of nature as bare empty trees bud and start putting on their spring finery. Catch a fleeting glimpse of the odd fox or hare, and bump into the same old early risers either out dog walking or just walking down to the local shop for a paper.

Challenge yourself to go out even when the weather is bad, how you appreciate the warmth of your house when you return home. Be amazed how just one mile a day makes you feel invigorated and gives you a warm satisfied feeling for the rest of the day. After a week or two you won't need any persuading, you will look forward to your early morning walk, and miss it when you can't do it.

I believe you have very nice countryside on your doorstep, buy an 'Ordnance Survey Map' of your area and seek out all the footpaths and byways and go and see where they go. There will be some mystical places that you never knew existed close to where you live. Instead of always rushing through life, just stop and look around you for a moment and see what beauty there is in the world around you.......Then tell us on here what you've seen and done...

So, yesterday I went for a walk in the hills, took my sister's Springer Spaniel.....some snacks and plenty of water.

On more than one occasion I had to stop, bent over with hand's on knees.....gasping for breath

Well, this morning....it took about 10 minutes to ease my aching body out of bed.....now I can't even walk.

God, how I wish I had ignored his advice
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 02:40 PM

Re: An unwillingness to admit I'm getting old and frightened of change.

You know you dont mean that

It is difficult to readjust and refocus after such a long time in a set routine..

Positive thing is you tried it. Next time you will feel its a bit easier and the next time you will wonder why you made such a fuss
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
You know you dont mean that

It is difficult to readjust and refocus after such a long time in a set routine..

Positive thing is you tried it. Next time you will feel its a bit easier and the next time you will wonder why you made such a fuss
I didn't realise how unfit I am....in my mind I'm still as fit as when I was 30.

The next time I may attempt to increas it to 300 yards
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I didn't realise how unfit I am....in my mind I'm still as fit as when I was 30.

The next time I may attempt to increas it to 300 yards
Youre in good company.. When I go off on a rant (normally at antisocial people) my son kindly informs me 'mum your'e not 18 anymore... stop'

Im still 18 with attitude until I look in the mirror and see the grey hair!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Oh bless. Yesterday I played the CD for my new `balance ball`-it`s been over 7 years since I rode one. She looked young and fit-I just ache today.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 02:54 PM

It does take time to adjust, I had difficulty when I first retired. It does get better though as OGF quite rightly said you do need to fill your time with other distractions but maybe not quite so physical at first.

You have new challenges to look forward to though and hopefully not too far in the future.

Good luck.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 03:10 PM

Do you remember my advice?
Bet you don't!!!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 03:12 PM

Tpin, you have always seen yourself as one of the younger ones on here but once you are past 50, it doesn't matter what your birthday says, because your body starts to tell you that you are getting older.
I think many OFF members think just the same as they did in their 30's, but your body sees it differently. Over the last year you have had lots to think about, like your business, moving house and your mum's health... so you haven't had time to keep as fit as you were. Take a little exercise when you can, but try to remember that you are now in your 50's and fast living is something that may never return to the pace you once had.
You like chatting to the wrinklies on here and they like chatting to you. All you have to do now is accept that you are one of them!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

04-03-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Do you remember my advice?
Bet you don't!!!!
I do...something about having a brew before doing a log...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

04-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Tpin, you have always seen yourself as one of the younger ones on here but once you are past 50, it doesn't matter what your birthday says, because your body starts to tell you that you are getting older.
I think many OFF members think just the same as they did in their 30's, but your body sees it differently. Over the last year you have had lots to think about, like your business, moving house and your mum's health... so you haven't had time to keep as fit as you were. Take a little exercise when you can, but try to remember that you are now in your 50's and fast living is something that may never return to the pace you once had.
You like chatting to the wrinklies on here and they like chatting to you. All you have to do now is accept that you are one of them!
wash your mouth out, woman

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top