Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Giving.

I have plenty of faults but meanness is certainly not one of them. I give my fair share to the charities I think deserve my support (don't get me wrong, they all do a great job). What annoys me though is when they 'Suggest' the amount you should give, as far as I'm concerned this is purely a personal thing and up to one's self. People over 50 are their biggest supporters and should not be pressured into giving what the charities consider they should give every Month, signing up to something they might not be able to keep up due to income change, and may be too embarrassed to pull out of.
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Re: Giving.

I often receive 'phone calls from the charities to which I donate every month asking for me to increase my donation. You do feel really mean when you say no so I do wish they wouldn't ring me.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
I often receive 'phone calls from the charities to which I donate every month asking for me to increase my donation. You do feel really mean when you say no so I do wish they wouldn't ring me.
There's a simple cure for such calls. The next time they call say no to increasing your contribution ans ask them to make a note in your file or you'll cancel all donations. Bet that ends the calls.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 05:19 PM

We have 3- Adopted Donkey's and 3- Adopted dogs now on a yearly basis paid up front so if we find that we are short of cash there is no problem.
We always give to our local school charities, Air Ambulance, Heart foundation, Save the Children and Water Aid, ( our choice of Charities ) these are in the form of Clothes, items etc so again no problems should arise.
Asking people to donate a certain amount of 'Cash' IMO leads to some dubious charity people lining their pockets.
Checks and Direct debits are a different matter but I, agreeing with you, still think it is wrong to ask for 'x' amount of money.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 05:48 PM

I don't like being pressured into giving either - I'm sure most of us could easily find by ourselves which charities we want to give to, and how much :-/
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 06:30 PM

I actually do contribute to PBS (Public Broadcast System) that shows decent, clean shows about our local environment as well as historical documentories that are very educational. Public broadcasting is worth supporting IMHO.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 08:49 PM

I contribute to several charities also, and dislike a suggested amount. I give what I can, and don't like to be pressured.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 09:13 PM

I give to two charities, and I give what I want to give and can afford. There were a couple of other charities I gave to but stopped as they wanted me to give a fixed sum every month by direct debit. I probably gave more to them over a year, but didn't like the request to give set amounts, so unfortunately they have lost out.......
alima
surrey
alima is female  alima has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2010, 12:06 AM

I hate all cold-calling but I particularly dislike the ones who interrupt you in your own home - minding your own business - to quiz you about your general ignorance on a particular area of need.
We both know that they want your money but they feel the need to expose some want of knowledge on your part before actually asking for that mere £2 a month.

Cheeky chuggers!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2010, 06:07 AM

I give what I want to give and not what they ask for!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top