Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:06 AM

Who's who

Would Forums be a better place if folks were required to announce, if they had personal knowledge, of other members, or, if indeed they were other members, surely, it would lead to more meaningful communication.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:10 AM

Re: Who's who

I think it might get "clicky" and possibly lead to exclusion from conversations posted on a forum.
For example if two people talked about a common friend they knew , no one else could join in.
Lets keep forums open so everyone can participate
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:12 AM

Forums should be the preserve of Billy no Mates, that way stuff is sorted out.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Would Forums be a better place if folks were required to announce, if they had personal knowledge, of other members, or, if indeed they were other members, surely, it would lead to more meaningful communication.
What! You mean some may be on here under other profile names?
I always find that a bit macabre...why do they need to do that? I sometimes wonder, if they are on a forum under different profiles, do they discuss things with their other profile on a thread, even argue with it, or use it to support themselves?
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:52 AM

I don't interact on this forum often enough to know much about any of the contributors but, if I did, I think it's best to keep your personal knowledge of other contributors out of any discussions and posts on a public forum.
If I post here, I just address the post as it is written and don't try to read between the lines or look for hidden or personal motives.

I am also a member of a small friendship/dating site, which has a range of discussion forums similar to this one.
Some of the members have got to know each other a bit via personal messages, phone conversations etc, or may even have met each other, at group meetings or one-to-one Meet Ups and become friends, but most of them rarely allude to their personal knowledge of each other on the discussion forums - if they do, it is considered 'bad form' because cosy chats on the general forums between people who know each other (or arguments between those who have met and disliked each other) could make others who aren't 'in the loop' feel excluded.

Multiple profiles seem to be something that happens on most sites I've used - they seem to be used by trolls or people who are insecure or those with an axe to grind.
The most amusing example I saw on the small friendship/dating site I mentioned was a 'conversation' between a male & female profile on a public thread, where they were flirting with each other and the 'man' asked the 'woman' out on a date - unfortunately, in all 'their' excitement, the woman who had created both profiles got muddled up and posted as 'the man' while she was still logged in as 'the woman' - I can't remember the exact conversation but it suddenly became so obvious that it was the same person using both profiles.
Although it was amusing, I felt rather sad for that person,really.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
I don't interact on this forum often enough to know much about any of the contributors but, if I did, I think it's best to keep your personal knowledge of other contributors out of any discussions and posts on a public forum.
If I post here, I just address the post as it is written and don't try to read between the lines or look for hidden or personal motives.

I am also a member of a small friendship/dating site, which has a range of discussion forums similar to this one.
Some of the members have got to know each other a bit via personal messages, phone conversations etc, or may even have met each other, at group meetings or one-to-one Meet Ups and become friends, but most of them rarely allude to their personal knowledge of each other on the discussion forums - if they do, it is considered 'bad form' because cosy chats on the general forums between people who know each other (or arguments between those who have met and disliked each other) could make others who aren't 'in the loop' feel excluded.

Multiple profiles seem to be something that happens on most sites I've used - they seem to be used by trolls or people who are insecure or those with an axe to grind.
The most amusing example I saw on the small friendship/dating site I mentioned was a 'conversation' between a male & female profile on a public thread, where they were flirting with each other and the 'man' asked the 'woman' out on a date - unfortunately, in all 'their' excitement, the woman who had created both profiles got muddled up and posted as 'the man' while she was still logged in as 'the woman' - I can't remember the exact conversation but it suddenly became so obvious that it was the same person using both profiles.
Although it was amusing, I felt rather sad for that person,really

I just think that is so weird Boot, why would they want to do that?
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I just think that is so weird Boot, why would they want to do that?
I really don't know, Mups.
It's not the behaviour of a well adjusted person.
I think maybe if someone is emotionally insecure, they may be seeking attention or think it will make them seem more popular.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:06 AM

There's certainly some odd-balls about, isn't there.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There's certainly some odd-balls about, isn't there.
Hi

It takes one to know one Mups

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-03-2017, 01:49 AM

Oi, you cheeky blighter.

Take that!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top