Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Not sure how safe this contactless is

I went in the pharmacy this morning, having a bad shaky day day so was struggling to get my card into the card reader, lady behind the counter was getting a bit impatient grabbed the card and waved it at the machine and there I had paid for my shopping, no pin or anything. Wasn't even me holding the card.

Doesn't feel very safe to me.

Do you trust the system and I'm just paranoid ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 02:19 PM

Re: Not sure how safe this contactless is

Probably nothing is 100% safe Julie, but I think it has it's good points.
I am vertically challenged and always have difficulty shielding my pin from someone taller standing nearby. I don't have this problem anymore with the contactless.

If worse came to worse and your card was stolen, they could only use it 3 times in one day, with a maximum of £30 spend each time.

I guess there is for and against in most things.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Yes Julie darlin' - I have one like that too - its ok to make payments this way - but put it away in a card wallet - don't leave it in your pocket or purse where it can be accessed without contact.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 02:22 PM

They don't always tell you but those machines usually are able to be taken out of the holder, if you are in a wheelchair you couldn't use them up that high so they pass it down to you to hold yourself. Might be worth seeing if that's possible, I've never seen one couldn't be used in a wheelchair.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Yes, I think most of the machines can be removed. I always take them off the thingy if I am putting my pin in because they are usually so far away, anybody can read what you are doing.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 02:27 PM

scammers have their own machines, all they have to do is brush up against you and the card is read. All they then have to do is add an amount onto their card-reader and your account is debited!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-02-2017, 02:30 PM

It's quite scary and they said cheques were easy to scam.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I went in the pharmacy this morning, having a bad shaky day day so was struggling to get my card into the card reader, lady behind the counter was getting a bit impatient grabbed the card and waved it at the machine and there I had paid for my shopping, no pin or anything. Wasn't even me holding the card.

Doesn't feel very safe to me.

Do you trust the system and I'm just paranoid ?
I don't think you are paranoid at all, I feel the same way about them. The woman at the counter had absolutely no right whatsoever to snatch your card off you like that, I hope you complained.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
scammers have their own machines, all they have to do is brush up against you and the card is read. All they then have to do is add an amount onto their card-reader and your account is debited!!!
I agree. These contactless cards are an absolute abortion.

My debit card appears to be contactless, but I keep it in an aluminium covered wallet. You can buy them quite cheaply and, apart from preventing illegal card reading, they also prevent cards being bent and damaged.

Nevertheless, I have asked my bank to send me a non-contactless card when mine expires next year.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I don't think you are paranoid at all, I feel the same way about them. The woman at the counter had absolutely no right whatsoever to snatch your card off you like that, I hope you complained.
+1

You should be more concerned at your treatment....disgusting.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top