Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 11:24 PM

The Secret Life of Dogs

Anybody watch this tonight?

Narrated by Martin Clunes, (I like him) and what a smashing programme it was.
Seeing all the different dogs, and the evidence of how they respond to life, choked me up several times - incredible animals.

When they were showing some of the Assistance Dogs working, Martin Clunes said, "What other animal sees for us, hears for us, understands our needs, and stays by our side always?"
Those Assistance dogs are the most incredible and beautiful companions to the person they are 'partnered' with.

Then there was the dog who rides a surf board to give autistic children confidence.

The totally blind man who has trekked over 6,000 miles over hills and through forests with his Labrador. She warns him of hills and rocks, and steps, and even snakes on the pathway in front of them. That man said he loves her entirely and she is his best friend. (I was bawling by then).

Next week they are going to explain how they have actual scientific proof that dogs can love us as much as we do them.

They did an amusing demo on some evidence to show potential intelligence as a guide dog, which I must tell you, then you can test your own dogs. I'm going to.

1. Put any little treat inside a Kong rubber toy.

Apparently, to get the treat out easier, they need to hold down the Kong with a paw. A RIGHT paw indicates more intelligence.

2. Look at which way your dog's hair curls, wherever their is a 'swirl' of hair.

It is a better sign if it swirls Anti-clockwise rather than clockwise.

Perhaps just fun tests - should be fun trying to tell with my curly Bedlingtons - but I'm going to test them all anyway.

All in all, it was one of the few programmes I really enjoyed.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 01:45 AM

Re: The Secret Life of Dogs

I didnt watch it , but ellie throws her Kong up and lets it bounce on the floor to get a treats out .
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 07:49 AM

I guess it must have been on one of the commercial channels I dont get.

I think anytime time 'experts' tell us anything about dogs we dog owners sigh because weve known these things for years like the fact that dogs do dream.

But any positive tv time about dogs is a good thing,,,,
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 09:13 AM

It was only ITV1 Cass, which everyone should receive!

What about the dog that alerts her owner of a diabetic collapse? And last week, the little one that dives into the sea with her owner because she keeps looking at him, and knows the pastime is 'safe'?

And who would have thought a chihuahua would have made a great police dog??
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 09:41 AM

I managed to watch about the first half hour then my dog woke up.He's deaf so he can't hear the barking and panting etc on screen but if he sees the images of any animals(including cartoon ones) he goes berserk barking at the tv!
The dog diving off the cliff with his owner last week was amazing.There is no doubt they are very clever animals.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 10:27 AM

Probably the best programme I have seen about dogs. It explained a lot of things like a dog's nostrils working independently to detect whether a smell is on the left or on the right.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 10:34 AM

If you missed it, you can watch it here:

http://www.itv.com/hub/itv
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 10:57 AM

We've recorded it can't watch it until dogs are out though as both of them go mad at dogs on tv. Weekend when Nathan takes them to his girlfriends place for a swim we'll be watching.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top