Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rifleman
Welling Kent
Rifleman is male  Rifleman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Can You Remember Your First Car??

Up to 1965 i rode Motorbikes (Rocker), One Winter i found it really cold and decided to get a car, As i had a full Motorbike licence i found out you could buy and drive a 3 wheel car on the bike licence,

So i went out and found this 1947 Reliant 3 wheel convertible, I think it was some sort of special as i dont think Reliant actually made convertibles,

Anyway it was a hilarious as it had a wooden floor and the exhaust pipe was very close to the floor which made it get very hot and smolder after a while, So i always kept some water in the car to stop it bursting into flames,

Being a convertible was handy as the roof leaked when it rained and the water coming in kept the fire out on the floor, I kid thee not!!

About a year later i passed my car test and got a proper car Morris Oxford but it was not so much fun as the old Reliant!!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Re: Can You Remember Your First Car??

Mine was a 1948 Standard Vanguard.
traded it in when the big end went(a tin of treacle quietened the noise) and got a Morris Oxford
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 10:17 AM

We had a Mini Clubman, I didn't like it much.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 10:45 AM

My first car was a Hillman Californian in British Racing Green - it had a fast back, but only a sewing machine engine. It was a load of rubbish and was terrible at starting and was always breaking down. The engine was in the back and the boot was in the front which was confusing. I was only 20 at the time, so I thought it was the "bees knees" especially as it had go-faster red stripes.
Rifleman
Welling Kent
Rifleman is male  Rifleman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
especially as it had go-faster red stripes.
Those things remember them well!!, I fitted them to one car i had and i couldn't work out why it was slower, Then i realised i had put them on back to front!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 12:44 PM

I can! A mini metro - and I loved it
telmar
yorkshire uk
telmar is female  telmar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 03:16 PM

My first car was a Wolseley (with the running boards on the side) - it cost my dad £25 - 1963 and I was 17. I had it for 3 weeks and then my dad was made redundant and had to go work in another town, so that was the end of my car!!! Maggie
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 03:28 PM

I don't drive and won't drive! But I do remember the first car my big brother bought - it was a Hillman Imp - I got a big discount off it because I worked for Rootes at the time! It was a great wee car!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Mine was Daisy, a battered old light blue mini. A huge hole in the bottom where you could see the road going by, no third gear and windows with moss growing that wouldn't open and worst of all the driver's door top hinge was broken and the door would often drop down onto the road hanging by the bottom hinge so I used to drive it with my right arm through the leather door strap to keep it on! One day it fell right off and I picked it up, put it against some bushes and carried on, like a milk-float! Then later drove back home from work and begged my Dad to fetch the door, which he did. Lucky I wasn't spotted by the old Bill.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rifleman ->
Up to 1965 i rode Motorbikes (Rocker), One Winter i found it really cold and decided to get a car, As i had a full Motorbike licence i found out you could buy and drive a 3 wheel car on the bike licence,

So i went out and found this 1947 Reliant 3 wheel convertible, I think it was some sort of special as i dont think Reliant actually made convertibles,

Anyway it was a hilarious as it had a wooden floor and the exhaust pipe was very close to the floor which made it get very hot and smolder after a while, So i always kept some water in the car to stop it bursting into flames,

Being a convertible was handy as the roof leaked when it rained and the water coming in kept the fire out on the floor, I kid thee not!!

About a year later i passed my car test and got a proper car Morris Oxford but it was not so much fun as the old Reliant!!
Yes Reliant did make a convertible with an aluminium body my uncle bought one in new in 1955 then they went on to fibreglass bodies.

My first car was a 1949 Vauxhall Wyvern bought it in 1964 for £20 what a heap of junk that was.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top