Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:23 PM

what do you know nothing about in the home?

I don't have a clue about cooking, even have a job boiling water. Suppose it is because I have never been taught or had to do it.

However I can turn an oven on and off thats easy but what tempreture to set it at is a mystery. I also know how to turn a hot plate on because it glows red, and that is about the sum of my total knowledge.

StillIi can do tiling-hang doors and fix most things but cooking? hopeless
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:32 PM

Re: what do you know nothing about in the home?

I have no idea how to work our living room TV, apart from being able to turn it on & change channels & look at the programs. It does a lot more, I also have no idea how to work the dvd player in there either.
I don't know how to use my mobile phone except to call people & text them.
I don't know how to change an electric plug or a light bulb either, but my Son knows how to do all those things I can't.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:49 PM

When you live alone on a small income you soon learn how to do many things I can cook/ papering/painting/tiling, a bit of plumbing and carpentry but not electrics I leave that to the experts
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:53 PM

Me too Meg, the only thing that stops me doing things myself now is physical strength and pain.
I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about technology though. It doesn't stop me fiddling with it, but it really is beyond my comprehension!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:54 PM

Washing machines...it's magic I tell thee...a black art to be avoided.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Me too Meg, the only thing that stops me doing things myself now is physical strength and pain.
I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about technology though. It doesn't stop me fiddling with it, but it really is beyond my comprehension!
Same here Tessa I don't have the strength to do as much as I used to these days and my balance is not good.

Technology isn't my thing either really but I scrape by
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 12:00 AM

My wife. After 54 years do I really know her?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 12:04 AM

Anything new that comes into my life I am told can be set up by a 12 year old. So I ring my granddaughter and she comes around to sort it. Everyone should have a friendly 12 year near at hand.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 01:23 AM

The one thing that still mystifies me in my home is where my wife puts things when she 'tidies up'.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 01:47 AM

The workings of the boiler and heating system and the way the valves balance the system thingamajigs to make it all work properly and how the thermostat thingy on the hot water tank does something to make sure the water stays some sort of temperature (although the wonder of it means the water is scalding). I have had this explained to me over and again and it's like I am listening to Japanese.

The fuse box is just plain scary (I try not to think about it) and the way you remove the fluffy bits from the draining thingy in the washing machine is mystifying.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top