Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 11:37 AM

I despair

A very close friend of mine got involved with this man. 9 days ago she asked if I could drop by for a coffee and a chat.. She played me the recording of his threats,abuse and physical violence. He was convicted and subject to a restraining order.

She had thrown him out twice before for verbal abuse.

By Sunday last she was taking his phone calls,by Tuesday when we went shopping she was tempted to let him back in, `It`s only when he has been drinking`

You could argue it`s none of my business but she is a very dear friend and I know company is important but I just feel she is making a mistake.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

02-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Re: I despair

Yes it is your business because you know she will be at risk if she takes him back, sometimes people need reminding of how bad it was.
I hope she thinks twice
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 11:47 AM

It's my belief that some women court drama in their lives and don't want a peace-loving decent man because they see them as boring or weak. Feel free to disagree but you won't sway my opinion.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Meep ->
Yes it is your business because you know she will be at risk if she takes him back, sometimes people need reminding of how bad it was.
I hope she thinks twice
I know that,you know that. Another female friend knows that. My friend Jane was beaten up more than once a long time ago when the police used to say `domestic luv`

When we went down to mum`s last Sunday Jane predicted it with chilling accuracy-I went back twice and took another effing beating,but I was only 18 then. He will promise her it will never happen again,he will be SO nice for a while-but they do not change.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Of course she's making a mistake, a huge mistake.

But unfortunately it's well accepted now that victims of abuse often feel that if THEY behave in a certain way they can avoid the abusive behaviour and be responsible for the change in the abuser's behaviour.
It's Cloud Cuckoo Land.

What your friend urgently needs is a course of therapy.
I bet she feels in some way she's to blame?

She's very needy and this man knows exactly which strings to pull and is acting on her weakness.
That's how it goes...
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
It's my belief that some women court drama in their lives and don't want a peace-loving decent man because they see them as boring or weak. Feel free to disagree but you won't sway my opinion.
That is a very silly sweeping statement! It might apply to some women but they are in the minority. I would never in a million years tolerate someone who was abusive to me, nor would any of my daughters or close family.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

02-02-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Of course she's making a mistake, a huge mistake.

But unfortunately it's well accepted now that victims of abuse often feel that if THEY behave in a certain way they can avoid the abusive behaviour and be responsible for the change in the abuser's behaviour.
It's Cloud Cuckoo Land.

What your friend urgently needs is a course of therapy.
I bet she feels in some way she's to blame?

She's very needy and this man knows exactly which strings to pull and is acting on her weakness.
That's how it goes...
That`s pretty damn close. We all get lonely and a kiss and cuddle is fine. But the price??
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

02-02-2017, 12:10 PM

He has said many times he does not like my friendship with this lady,again that`s the pattern. Isolate her from the closest male friends then she becomes more dependant on him. I`m seeing it happen
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
That is a very silly sweeping statement! It might apply to some women but they are in the minority. I would never in a million years tolerate someone who was abusive to me, nor would any of my daughters or close family.
Eccles said 'some women' so it's not exactly a sweeping statement.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

02-02-2017, 12:14 PM

All to their views but at least some are now talking to me about something I have tried to talk about a couple of times-and I thank those who have.

This is not the Goon show Eccles-this is a close friend of mine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top