Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 01:57 PM

Do We Live In A 'I'm Alright Jack' Society?

I'm alright Jack...... a remark indicating smug and complacent selfishness.

I believe we do live in a 'I'm alright Jack' society! I'm not sure if it's a case of 'survival of the fittest' or that society has just become more grabbing, greedy and selfish?

What do you think? Are you alright Jack? Do you see it around you?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 02:01 PM

Re: Do We Live In A 'I'm Alright Jack' Society?

I believe we do live in a 'I'm alright Jack' society!

I don't believe we are Art ok maybe so in the big towns where no one knows their neighbours but not in the countryside where we help and look out for each other

I see little acts of selflessness around me every day .
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 02:22 PM

No I don't think overall we do Art

Especially in an expat situation we all help each other
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I'm alright Jack...... a remark indicating smug and complacent selfishness.

I believe we do live in a 'I'm alright Jack' society! I'm not sure if it's a case of 'survival of the fittest' or that society has just become more grabbing, greedy and selfish?

What do you think? Are you alright Jack? Do you see it around you?

Yes darlin' - we most certainly do, ever since that 'wicked witch of the west' told us "there is no such thing as society". Following that, the 'nasty party' and then the mass media launched attack after attack on those at the bottom of the heap, firstly unmarried mothers, then the unemployed, followed by the sick and disabled.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 02:31 PM

You can take it to the bank ...
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes darlin' - we most certainly do, ever since that 'wicked witch of the west' told us "there is no such thing as society". Following that, the 'nasty party' and then the mass media launched attack after attack on those at the bottom of the heap, firstly unmarried mothers, then the unemployed, followed by the sick and disabled.
You are just jealous of those who have more dosh than you do. Many of us give generously to charities. If you came up with a few million on the lottery, for instance, I wonder if you would give it away to worthy causes?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 02:57 PM

I believe that the only person responsible for your well being should be yourself. I am sure that the majority of people do care about others and will help where they can, but there are some who couldn't care less for those that are struggling.... and they are not all wealthy people!

I can't agree with UJ, because there are many people that claim benefits, when they don't need it, so those fraudsters are as much to blame as any political leader, for the genuinely needy not getting what they need. It can be costly to get people to locate these fraudsters and find evidence too
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
What have unmarried mothers got to to with anything?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What have unmarried mothers got to to with anything?
Ask DWP and IDS
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Over all I think we do, there are notable exceptions but generally most people if they are ok don't think twice about anyone else. If they did they wouldn't believe half of what is in the press and said about benefits and disabled etc they would see the ones taking what they shouldn't have are such a tiny minority that punishing all is a gross overreaction to a small problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top