Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 11:56 AM

McCann's lose court battle!

Sad to see that the McCann's have lost their legal action in a Lisbon court against the Portuguese ex-detective, Goncalo Amaral, who wrote a book claiming that Kate and Gerry McCann covered up the death of their daughter, who he claimed, died in their apartment.

The court decided that his book "The Truth of the Lie" was covered by Portugal's freedom of expression laws and were within acceptable limits in an open and democratic society.

Amaral is now going to counter-sue the McCann's for damages.

My thoughts are: It doesn't pay to be British in Europe at the moment, and B. a weird "freedom of expression laws they seem to have over there if anyone can slander someone else willy nilly and ithat's okay.

Your thoughts please...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Re: McCann's lose court battle!

I think he genuinely believes they did it, I am not in a position to say he is wrong or right but I don't like the idea that a book can be written before any trial. Surely now it's out there if it was found they were involved they couldn't be tried ?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 12:11 PM

Morning Julie, Not that I personally believe for one moment that Madeleine died in the apartment at the hands of her parents, if, as you say, it turned out that they did, then no, I would imagine they would not go to trial as it would already have been prejudiced against them.

Justice has been against them from day one when they had to return to the UK with accusations and condemnation for negligence being flung at them thick and fast.

As I believe in their innocence with the disappearance of their daughter, I often think what anguish they must have felt as they had to finally board that plane home without their little girl. It doesn't even bear thinking what they must have been going through, and still going through.

Just my view of course. My heart goes out to them. I feel they have suffered so much and this, if it was me, would probably send me over the edge.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 12:18 PM

They found her spinal fluid in the apartment behind the settee.

When the forensics went into the apartment and analysed it with a fine tooth comb, they couldn't find a trace of her dna. They had to fly Gerry to to England accompanied by officers to retrieve her pillow from their family home so they could get a sample.

All dna was tested in this country.

Just those facts on their own without the myriad of others available, draw an obvious conclusion, in my mind anyway.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

01-02-2017, 12:31 PM

wow Silby, I didn't know all that

Still thinking about whether he should have written the book though
Has suing him given the guy even more publicity
I hope he thinks twice about suing the McCanns
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Yes, I understand they found a drop of blood at the corner back of the sofa. Usually there is a gap between the sofa and the window of the apartment but apparently Gerry McCann had pushed it to the window so as the children's toys would not be dropped behind it.
So many theories, so many accusations, yet their little girl was gone!

Horrendous!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 12:33 PM

Even if the McCanns didn't kill their child, they are still very neglectful to leave their three very young children alone in the apartment, without an adult in attendance.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 12:35 PM

I wonder if they are sued, would people donate as they did before ?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-02-2017, 12:35 PM

I don't think we will ever know what happened to Madelaine, same as little Ben Needham in Greece. As a mother, I cannot believe what both must have gone through in the days, weeks, months and years after.

As I say, until someone proves otherwise, my heart goes out to them.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

01-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Their twins were only two at the time, I agree that none of their children should have been left alone to be checked on hourly

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top