Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 02:25 PM

Science going mad

Hi

I suppose this could have gone in Science, but I would like your views on the ethics of all this.

There have been two disturbing announcements recently.

The first one is the creation of a human/pig chimera.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38717930

The idea is good, to provide human organs, but it opens ups the floodgates to all sorts of misuse.

The second development is more worrying in my view.

We have created a semi synthetic organism.

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-scient...synthetic.html

This is potentially very serious, it opens the door to creating biological weapons targeting specifics groups.

Your opinions please.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Re: Science going mad

Sorry Swimmy, I'm no help to you here at all, it's all a bit much for my simple brain. Don't worry about things you can't change though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 02:45 PM

I think that both are a bridge too far. Why do scientists feel the need to experiment in this way? The human/pig embryo fills me with revulsion - instead of trying to grow human organs inside animals why not concentrate on methods to repair organs? Does the creation of a new strain of bacteria serve any purpose at all? Will such bacteria be used to fight cancers or be used as I suspect to create a biogenic weapon which targets certain individuals?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think that both are a bridge too far. Why do scientists feel the need to experiment in this way? The human/pig embryo fills me with revulsion - instead of trying to grow human organs inside animals why not concentrate on methods to repair organs? Does the creation of a new strain of bacteria serve any purpose at all? Will such bacteria be used to fight cancers or be used as I suspect to create a biogenic weapon which targets certain individuals?
Hi

I agree totally Judd.

We could use stem cells to grow human organs in the lab.

Messing about with bacterial DNA is mad.

Things get out of even the most secure labs.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 02:54 PM

"Things get out of even the most secure labs."

Aye, that's all we need - a new epidemic with no known cure running rampant.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 02:59 PM

We haven't sufficient antibiotics for some bacteria now, let alone making more. Will this be another disease-resistant bacteria?

I read just last week about someone who'd had 27 different antibiotics to kill an infection - none of which worked.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 03:19 PM

Providing it can be done safely so there is no harm to humans, I have no problem with animals being used for our medical benefit.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Providing it can be done safely so there is no harm to humans, I have no problem with animals being used for our medical benefit.

I don't think this was the question though.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 03:31 PM

H.G.Wells right again!
" The Island of Dr. Moreau" we should take more notice of his works methinks!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 03:34 PM

I think the Mayans calculations were out by about 0.237652% approximately.☠️

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top