Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 07:20 PM

Bit of a dilemma

Some of you might remember me saying ages ago about my neighbour who leaves her little dog alone for many hours at a time - sometimes 10 - 14 hrs.

Well it seems very early yesterday morning (Wednesday), before I surfaced, she went out. She hasn't been home since.
The dog is shut indoors, I can hear her barking. This has been 36 hrs now.

I have her my neighbour's mobile number, so text her today to see if everything was alright, and said if she wanted me to go in to see to the dog just give me the keysafe number and I will gladly go in.

She never replied, which is unusual. So then I was really worried. I didn't know what to do. Has she had an accident? How long do I leave it before I try and sort the dog out? She will be furious with me if she is OK and I have her house broken into!

In the end I rang the police - they were worse than useless.
He said he would put me through to someone who could help, so I waited, and waited, and eventually a recorded message came on saying it was the RSPCA. After selecting the option I thought appropriate, I was transferred to another recorded message - and then cut off altogether!
Flamin' useless! I was so cross by then.

Eventually I found their number and called again and this time got hold of a human to speak to. I told her everything and I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing or not, and she said I was, and they would try to get an inspector to call round to the neighbour, (which isn't going to be much help if no one's in). I am not sure but I believe they are not allowed to break in unless they have the police with them?

I am worried sick. Have I done the right thing? I don't want to fall out with her, but how do I know if she has had an accident or not? Also, it's unacceptable to leave the animal shut in for 36 hrs alone anyway.

I asked the RSPCA if they would let me know the outcome, and she said it can take up to 28 days for them to contact me back!!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 07:23 PM

Re: Bit of a dilemma

You have done everything you could do. Are you sure the woman had gone out and isn't at home, ill or worse?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
You have done everything you could do. Are you sure the woman had gone out and isn't at home, ill or worse?
I wondered that too. Is it possible she returned and you didn't know?
Perhaps the dog is distressed because she's in trouble...
Keep trying that mobile number...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Well the dog oesn't usually bark when the neighbour is there, she only barks and gets distressed when she's alone.
Also, the neighbour's car is not on her drive. I am really worried.

As an aside, while I have been typing this I heard some 'crunching' and Nellie has had her snout down my shopping bag and opened a box of Pringles - thieving little rat!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am worried sick. Have I done the right thing? I don't want to fall out with her, but how do I know if she has had an accident or not? Also, it's unacceptable to leave the animal shut in for 36 hrs alone anyway.

I asked the RSPCA if they would let me know the outcome, and she said it can take up to 28 days for them to contact me back!!
Mups stop worrying, you have done the right thing.

I am not sure but I believe they are not allowed to break in unless they have the police with them?
No they can't enter without the police and then only when they believe a dog is in distress.

The RSPCA will usually leave a card and monitor the dog now they are aware there is a problem and the woman will probably get a warning and follow up calls.

I reported a neighbour because I thought her 4 collies were being neglected. She has a medical condition and terrible mood swings. The RSPCA were very good and visit her regularly giving support.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 07:53 PM

You shouldnt have called and said you were worried about the dog.

You should have said you heard the dog and cant get any answer from your neighbour and are worried she is inside but hurt,,,

Police would have broken in , once in they cant leave the dog in an unsecured house.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 08:10 PM

You did exactly the right thing ,the poor dog shouldnt have been left like this,as said the RSPCA can get the Police to break in if they find the dog is still left alone,if your neighbour returns Im sure the RSPCA will have a word with her. Keep us informed on here
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-01-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

You should have said you heard the dog and cant get any answer from your neighbour and are worried she is inside but hurt,,,

Police would have broken in , once in they cant leave the dog in an unsecured house.

I did tell the cops that Cass, and he asked me whether it was the dog or the person I was worried about and I siad both. I said if she'd had an accident I would assume she has help with her, but the dog hasn't! That's when they just transferred me to the RSPCA and their recorded messages!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

If there's no response from the front door or the mobile, then NOW I think that's exactly what Mups should do.

Edited...Sorry Mups, just read your post above.
Still think you should call police again.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 08:14 PM

If all else fails chuck a brick through the window call again and tell them theres been a break in.

Sorry but I have no pity for people who abandon their pets.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top