Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Free Speech and Protest

Are we abusing our right to free speech and protest?
Are all the protesters just making a nuisance of themselves?
Little groups all over the country are protesting over silly little things and they never seem to get anything sorted anyway.
Are the people of Britain [and America] too quick to moan about the state of the country instead of getting on with it?
Is it time that protests were banned or limited to a dozen people instead of blocking up roads and city centres that inevitably turns to violent behaviour?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 12:18 PM

Re: Free Speech and Protest

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Are we abusing our right to free speech and protest?
Are all the protesters just making a nuisance of themselves?
Little groups all over the country are protesting over silly little things and they never seem to get anything sorted anyway.
Are the people of Britain [and America] too quick to moan about the state of the country instead of getting on with it?
Is it time that protests were banned or limited to a dozen people instead of blocking up roads and city centres that inevitably turns to violent behaviour?
Everyone should have the right to protest as long as it is peaceful
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Everyone has a right to protest it's a shame it's not used more, I shudder to imagine what would the outcome might be if we adopted any limit on it. Look at police unable to strike and they have lost so many men and women in the cuts.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 12:45 PM

Peaceful protest has never changed anything, Babylon only responds to violence unfortunately.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 12:47 PM

As soon as violence is used the protestor has lost any high ground they held. I dont agree that peaceful protest doesn't work.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Everyone has a right to protest it's a shame it's not used more, I shudder to imagine what would the outcome might be if we adopted any limit on it. Look at police unable to strike and they have lost so many men and women in the cuts.
Sorry but must disagree with you there Julie, I feel very strongly that anyone who works for a public service such as the Police, The Fire Service, The NHS and the Railways should NEVER be allowed to strike.
One only has to see the absolute misery and distress caused by the strike on Southern Rail, The army having to take over from striking Firemen and the greedy NHS staff putting patients lives at risk and causing more pain and suffering from operations having to be cancelled.
The Police going on strike would cause no amount of crime being committed. The thought does not bear thinking about.

Each and every one of those above do a wonderful job and are appreciated by all, but.... they all have official bodies to fight on their behalf, funded by the taxpayer. ordinary workers in the private sector do not have that luxury.

No, God forbid if they should ever be granted the right to strike. In fact, I personally feel that it should be enshrined in law that they never be allowed to strike.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-01-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Sorry but must disagree with you there Julie, I feel very strongly that anyone who works for a public service such as the Police, The Fire Service, The NHS and the Railways should NEVER be allowed to strike.
One only has to see the absolute misery and distress caused by the strike on Southern Rail, The army having to take over from striking Firemen and the greedy NHS staff putting patients lives at risk and causing more pain and suffering from operations having to be cancelled.
The Police going on strike would cause no amount of crime being committed. The thought does not bear thinking about.

Each and every one of those above do a wonderful job and are appreciated by all, but.... they all have official bodies to fight on their behalf, funded by the taxpayer. ordinary workers in the private sector do not have that luxury.

No, God forbid if they should ever be granted the right to strike. In fact, I personally feel that it should be enshrined in law that they never be allowed to strike.
Sorry must have been how I said it, I wasn't saying they should be allowed to strike just using their plight as a reason rest of us must be allowed.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Ooops, apologies Julie, I thought you were insinuating that the Police should have the right to strike because of the cut to their numbers. Consider my wrist slapped and do without the cup of tea I was just about to make.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
As soon as violence is used the protestor has lost any high ground they held. I dont agree that peaceful protest doesn't work.
I agree.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Hi

There is an easy way of looking after Public Sector pay without the need for any stoppages at all.

Simply give them the same pay rises as the MPs vote for themselves.

As for protest marches, get the BNP doing a march and immediately the Anti Nazi League turn up and vice versa.

Costs a fortune in Police and other time and money, they should be restricted to different days.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top