Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:05 AM

It's enough to make my blood boil!

Went into town to buy a couple of Winter/Spring dresses yesterday. I get fed up from wearing trousers throughout the winter so as soon as January is on the way out I always treat myself to tunic type dresses in a warm material with long sleeves and can be worn with my many black 40 denier tights, (well it isn't Spring just yet!!)

Plenty on offer. Some really nice, yet I came home empty handed and rather despondent! Why? because of the stupid, ridiculous, make me want to scream sizing issue!!

Now, I have for the last 20 years kept to a size 14. I wouldn't exactly call that an abnormal size but the way they size clothes for women these days really annoys me
Some materials and labels are so stingy with their materials that a 14 is too tight! but if I try on a 16 it's too big! Its even worse when it says size 14 - 16. they too are usually too big, yet a 12 -14 is too tight.

What on earth happened to simple sizing for women?
When they were size 12, 14, 16, 18 etc, I never used to have any problem with the fit, I never even used to try them on either because I knew size 14 was me!

Does anyone else have a problem with clothing sizes? Half the shops I walked into I was really annoyed to see the sizes went as follows
Size 12 -14, Size 16 - 18, Size 20 - 22.
What the hell happened to Size 14 - 16, size 18 - 20 etc.
They seemed to be missing the size in between all the time.

It's really annoying me.
Am I a lone grit my teeth moaner or have you experienced the same problem?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:10 AM

Re: It's enough to make my blood boil!

Hi

Different brands have different sizes, with men it is very easy, a 34 waist is a 34 waist.

Have you considered a sex change?

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:12 AM

I know exactly what you mean Shroppy, I have cursed many a time for the same reason. They seem to jump a size don't they, and one size is too small, but the next size you could get in twice!
Damart are always sending me catalogues, but they are one of the many offenders. I daren't buy anything online, especially shoes, as there does not seem a standard size in all makes and it's all wrong. Surely a 5 shoe should be a 5 in any make, same with clothes. I find M & S are not bad with their sizings.

They'll be making birthday cards next for 50 - 60 !!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:13 AM

I make my own mostly, or buy from eBay and charity shops and make them over. That's only way I've found to get the loose look and long length I love.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:18 AM

I sympathise with you. Here I can buy a size 10 which fits well, or I can buy a size 12 which is too small. I can buy a 14 which may be too big, or may be too small even. These days it really is hit and miss. As if that isnīt bad enough, try being a 5ft 2" (at a stretch), finding something you like, but then realising you have to cut off half of it as it trails on the ground. With some of the fancy hemlines these days itīs impossible to even adjust the hemline. It probably explains why I rarely wear dresses. Quite often during the hot summer months a long tee shirt does me. They often come to well below my knees and are comfortable to wear.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:20 AM

LOL, Perish the thought! Swimmy, my Credit Card was starting to perspire because I had a clear out of my make up bag and spent a fortune on new make-up as well so not going to waste it all by having a sex-change now!!

Seriously, you're quite correct though, Men have simple, straightforward sizing such as you say. Why is it so difficult to do the same for women.

I will guarantee that it was a flippin man who invented these ridiculous sizing guides!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL, Perish the thought! Swimmy, my Credit Card was starting to perspire because I had a clear out of my make up bag and spent a fortune on new make-up as well so not going to waste it all by having a sex-change now!!

Seriously, you're quite correct though, Men have simple, straightforward sizing such as you say. Why is it so difficult to do the same for women.

I will guarantee that it was a flippin man who invented these ridiculous sizing guides!!

Good point Shroppy, I wouldn't mind betting you are right.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

26-01-2017, 11:33 AM

Clumsy, glad it's not just me then.
When I say dresses I meant longer length Tunic's that you can wear with 40 denier tights. They used to be called Tunics in my younger days but tend to call them dresses now! ho hum.

Julie, I have bought clothing from Ebay shops or new clothing only on auctions, but they have to be new with label cos a) I'm a bit weird about buying clothing that someone that I don't know has been wearing, and b)
I've seen how many times my SIL who is also a size 14, has bought from EBay after reading "from smoke-free home, excellent condition etc, only to end up giving the item to the local charity shop because the one thing sellers never divulge is how long they have had the garment and the dozens of times they have washed it!! What was originally a size 14 has probably shrunk from being washed so many times it is more a size 12 now!!! I can't remember how many times she has been disappointed. She can't be bothered with having to re wrap the garment, take it to the Post Office and send it back so it always ends up in the charity shop. Someone will gain so it isn't wasted but it seems such a waste of money for her buying the way she does.

Mups, agree with all you say.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:39 AM

SG I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from size 12-16 though I would say I am a 14. I don't take much notice of sizing and just go with what fits.

I rarely buy clothes, I am still wearing the good quality clothes I bought for work and I retired 8 years ago. One long navy blue Jaeger skirt size 12 with a slit I bought in the sale about 15 years ago and it still fits like a glove.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:43 AM

It does happen with men's clothes too you know. I tried on a white T shirt in M&S - fitted perfectly so I bought three white and two black. All of the others were too small despite being marked as the same size.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top