Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 10:38 AM

problem

We bought a new fridge/freezer just before Christmas.
The freezer is not working properly, a friend said it is because it is too cold a room. WHAT !!
What I am really asking is do anyone else think that could be the reason ? I find it a bit hard to think that to be honest.
Any thoughts ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 10:46 AM

Re: problem

Hi Frances my sister had the same problem. I thought she was joking when she told me ...

If placed in an environment where the room temperature gets up to around 30 degrees most units sold in the UK may start to struggle to work if they can’t give off the heat from the condenser (normally at the back of the unit which gets hot). The ambient air temperature around the condenser needs to be 10 degrees lower than the condenser so that the energy can be given off as radiant heat. If the heat from the condenser can’t radiate away into cooler air then the heat won’t be taken out of the food so it won’t get cold.

In a normal home these temperature ranges shouldn’t cause any problems as the fridges and freezers we use are designed to operate in the UK home.

f the maximum temperature is exceeded the appliance will struggle to keep the temperature inside down as described above and could be running constantly or at least for longer periods than necessary. This could cause overheating, breakdowns and higher energy bills.

If the temperature drops below the minimum stated on the climate rating (which is more likely) the freezer on a fridge-freezer controlled by only one stat may even switch off and defrost. Typically in the UK the temperature range is 10 degrees C to 30 degree C
https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/how...m-temperature/

My sister ended up putting her ff in the cooler utility room .

There used not to be this problem. I guess our houses have got warmer and fridges more sensitive.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
We bought a new fridge/freezer just before Christmas.
The freezer is not working properly, a friend said it is because it is too cold a room. WHAT !!
What I am really asking is do anyone else think that could be the reason ? I find it a bit hard to think that to be honest.
Any thoughts ?
Yes, this is a known problem Apricot although the manufacturers fail to tell us. Many people put them in their garage and have problems.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Yes known problem, they are designed to cool not heat things up.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 12:00 PM

https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/can...r-in-a-garage/
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 12:12 PM

In Mum's old bungalow when Dad built the conservatory, she had a spare freezer in there, and I always told her it was an inappropriate place for it. Never listened to me!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 12:20 PM

In our garage we have a chest freezer and an old fridge freezer. The chest freezer is fine but the fridge freezer doesn't work in very cold weather so we turn it off in winter. We found out the hard way though finding the contents defrosted a few years ago!
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 01:33 PM

I was aware of certain freezers not working well in outbuildings so when I wanted a large one for the garage at my old house , I made sure I bought one that was recommended for outside, I got a Whirlpool.

If this new fridge freezer is in your kitchen and it isn't working well, I suspect its a problem with the freezer.

If it is in your kitchen and its a frost free freezer, can I suggest you check the fan inside the freezer is running freely and not trapped by a corner of packaging or something, this happened to me once.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 01:37 PM

Cheers LD, a lot of good info there
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
I was aware of certain freezers not working well in outbuildings so when I wanted a large one for the garage at my old house , I made sure I bought one that was recommended for outside, I got a Whirlpool.

If this new fridge freezer is in your kitchen and it isn't working well, I suspect its a problem with the freezer.

If it is in your kitchen and its a frost free freezer, can I suggest you check the fan inside the freezer is running freely and not trapped by a corner of packaging or something, this happened to me once.

This is what I understood too, Silbee. Some are made for sheds/garages etc, some are not.
My large chest freezer has been outside for years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top