Join for free
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Am I?

Becoming a left or right wing liberal or an old Git? I grew up with Poles and Czecs who served in the RAF-well children of them.

Then The Italians-some wives of POWs who stayed here as we picked spuds when I was at school-Ah di Stefano-he needs to eat more pasta -he so skinny.

Now at 63 I see all this backlash against those from eastern Europe. Well all I can say is that they work bloody hard in the fields of Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire. So many British yoofs prefer to call them trash as they sign on for a free hand out.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 03:38 PM

Re: Am I?

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Becoming a left or right wing liberal or an old Git? I grew up with Poles and Czecs who served in the RAF-well children of them.

Then The Italians-some wives of POWs who stayed here as we picked spuds when I was at school-Ah di Stefano-he needs to eat more pasta -he so skinny.

Now at 63 I see all this backlash against those from eastern Europe. Well all I can say is that they work bloody hard in the fields of Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire. So many British yoofs prefer to call them trash as they sign on for a free hand out.
I agree with every word you say Older git, well said.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 03:51 PM

I agree Eastern Europeans are great jordan our oldest is marrying a pole, lovely girl. Recently met the parents and they are very nice too. Sadly because of open borders things have got rather muddled it's something I blame the Eu and our government for, if they had listened when people initially had worries about immigration I'm pretty sure the backlash would never have happened.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Don't think it's anything to do with Political Ideology, more about where you come from, and how much change one can absorb.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 04:02 PM

I agree too. Some years ago after my divorce, I found myself living near to another divorcee who actually told me I was mad to work, I was also studying at the same time. I had to make child care arrangement, this woman lived next door to her mother and wouldn't have had any child care problems.

After this woman complaining to me how bored she was being home all day, I suggested she got a part time job as her mother would take care of her two boys. Her reply to me, "why should I work, the money is put there for people like me". I replied unkindly, "yes, by silly buggers like me". Years later it seems nothing has changed.

I too really struggled to keep my head above water at that time, but I coped, I don't know how, but I did and I never had a single penny of any benefit, not even free school dinners, my son was horrified at the thought of that, he said he didn't want to be called names. He took a packed lunch and had a cooked meal when he returned to my mother from school. I would pick him up from my mother's when I finished work. They were difficult years but I guess determination got me through, not forgetting help at times from some wonderful friends.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
don't think it's anything to do with political ideology, more about where you come from, and how much change one can absorb.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 09:31 PM

I don't look at colour, race or religion, it's the person inside that matters OG. There is good and bad in all walks of life..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 10:49 PM

I've always said that I take people as I find them, and that there are good and bad of all races and cultures.

Of course, we have our lazy sods. There will always be lazy sods as long as there are idiots who give them handouts for doing nothing. If a person is disabled or otherwise unable to work, that's different; that's what benefits were originally designed for. However, when not working and taking handouts is a lifestyle choice, that's not acceptable.

It wouldn't be so bad if we could exchange our lazy sods for foreign immigrants who are willing to work on a one-for-one basis.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top