Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 01:31 AM

Make time for a Siesta.

An organization called "The Health in Ageing Foundation" carried out a study of 3,000 Chinese adults aged 65 and over, 60% of whom took a nap after lunch of between 30 - 90 minutes.

After their sleep they had to answer questions, solve maths problems and memorize certain words.

Interestingly, it turned out the ones who did best, were the ones who had a 1 hr. nap, in fact they performed up to six times better than those who slept for shorter or longer stints, or didn't sleep at all.

The Doctor there said "These people experienced the same decline in their mental abilities that a five-year increase in age would cause.
"Moderate nappers had better overall cognition than non-nappers or extended nappers."

So there you go, make time for a Siesta each day.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 07:53 AM

Re: Make time for a Siesta.

Great idea! Its 6.52 am. G'nite world.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 07:57 AM

I used to having a morning kip(along with the other kids) at primary school........didn't help me
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:12 AM

I used to do split shifts meant I had to get a sleep between 10 am and two I can only say during those 4 years I didn't know what was up and what was down, days of the week no idea, morning or night no idea. I don't recommend it
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
An organization called "The Health in Ageing Foundation" carried out a study of 3,000 Chinese adults aged 65 and over, 60% of whom took a nap after lunch of between 30 - 90 minutes.

After their sleep they had to answer questions, solve maths problems and memorize certain words.

Interestingly, it turned out the ones who did best, were the ones who had a 1 hr. nap, in fact they performed up to six times better than those who slept for shorter or longer stints, or didn't sleep at all.

The Doctor there said "These people experienced the same decline in their mental abilities that a five-year increase in age would cause.
"Moderate nappers had better overall cognition than non-nappers or extended nappers."

So there you go, make time for a Siesta each day.
Unless I am unwell I never could or would want a nap during the day.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:41 AM

Often took a power nap during my lunch breaks at work, and on occasion when out watching wildlife would pull into secluded spot, wind the windows down in the car and drift off while listening to nature.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:53 AM

My bro and SiL once complained about wanting afternoon naps to their GP. He said 'so you want a nap? Why not?' Indicating he felt nothing wrong in that at all.

I definitely take naps as and when the need arises, and feel all the better for it.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 10:21 AM

Not a napping fan,prefer My 8 hours each night unless of course I'm under the weather,but nowt wrong with dozing off during the day if You feel the need.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I used to having a morning kip(along with the other kids) at primary school........didn't help me
Ha ha. I remember that at primary school. I never slept.

I do sometimes have a nap in the afternoon but tbh, I always feel worse when I wake up. Don't know why.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 10:40 AM

I heard this Mups after lunch is Chloe walk time so no nap for me . I confess to nodding off while watching the news at 6pm though .

Dad used to have a nap after lunch when he finally retired aged 77, he then worked half the night on his 'hobby' (he was Secretary/President of the local Band).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top