Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 06:06 PM

Too Independent ?

Are we too independent for our own good ? [ Thinking of Robert's post] We dont want to be a burden for our families, we hate waiting in hospital clinics, dread going to A& E & going into Hospital . We try to treat ourselves before going to see a Dr & if we cant get an appointtment we just struggle on instead of insisting someone visits us at home, We do our own shopping best we can. But people from abroad dont see things the same . Their families are expected to help or they ask friends / neighbours. If they are unwell & cant see a Dr they go to A& E The system is there so use it , its not their fault if theres problems in the system, thats up to those in charge i.e Government ,to sort out.My 90 year old Indian neighbour asks people to do things for her/ take her places, especially myself & neighbour on my other side ,a widower in his 80s, she clings on to someones arm walking from her flat to the street,& when she goes shopping ,via a community transport bus, the driver has to get her a shopping trolley , then take her bags out of the trolley & onto the bus , then into her home. She went to A&E last night because her leg is very painful when she walks, & had an Xray, nothing showed up. Perhaps we should be more assertive when it comes to our rights & make more use of the services we should be able to access
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 06:09 PM

Re: Too Independent ?

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Are we too independent for our own good ? [ Thinking of Robert's post] We dont want to be a burden for our families, we hate waiting in hospital clinics, dread going to A& E & going into Hospital . We try to treat ourselves before going to see a Dr & if we cant get an appointtment we just struggle on instead of insisting someone visits us at home, We do our own shopping best we can. But people from abroad dont see things the same . Their families are expected to help or they ask friends / neighbours. If they are unwell & cant see a Dr they go to A& E The system is there so use it , its not their fault if theres problems in the system, thats up to those in charge i.e Government ,to sort out.My 90 year old Indian neighbour asks people to do things for her/ take her places, especially myself & neighbour on my other side ,a widower in his 80s, she clings on to someones arm walking from her flat to the street,& when she goes shopping ,via a community transport bus, the driver has to get her a shopping trolley , then take her bags out of the trolley & onto the bus , then into her home. She went to A&E last night because her leg is very painful when she walks, & had an Xray, nothing showed up. Perhaps we should be more assertive when it comes to our rights & make more use of the services we should be able to access
Nobody should ever go to A&E unless they are very ill!

One should try to be as independent as possible, for as long as possible, imo.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Some cultures take care of their old people more than others.

I don't think you'd find many Old Peoples homes in India for example.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Nobody should ever go to A&E unless they are very ill!

One should try to be as independent as possible, for as long as possible, imo.
I agree, When I go to airports for my holidays it is always Indian people who are in the trolleys or wheelchairs. Good luck to them
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Do you often "Holiday" in Airports.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:19 AM

You have actually made me smile
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

No but some are on the street or staying at Mother Teresas.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le14423922.ece
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I would NEVER wish my children to have to put up with me when/if I could no longer care for myself. I don't think it is fair for parents to expect their kids to look after them in their own homes in their old age.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I would NEVER wish my children to have to put up with me when/if I could no longer care for myself. I don't think it is fair for parents to expect their kids to look after them in their own homes in their old age.
I was just trying to make the point that in general, Indian people seem to care for and respect their old folk more than we do.

Of course there are exceptions. I'm speaking in general terms.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:58 AM

I am indeed far too Independent, very reluctant to allow others to access my life. Most times it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top