Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:34 PM

Ethiopian Spice Girls

British taxpayers will no longer fund Ethiopia's version of the Spice Girls which was a staggering £9.2million!!!
Makes you think doesn't it? When the NHS is in such dire straights. Now this pathetic Government needs to sort out all the so called charities it gives millions to and stop the lot. Charity begins at home sort our problems out first.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Re: Ethiopian Spice Girls

Not so much make you think as make you weep Doc, the stupidity of an enforced minimum spend on international aid defies belief....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 02:25 PM

Far too many of these projects IMO I think at some point a good idea jumps the shark as they say and morphs into a dreadful waste of money. I've also heard of cases where they have money alloted and it has to be spent by a certain date, that makes them spend it on stupid projects just to ensure they get the next grants !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 02:34 PM

Looks like Priti Patel who has vowed to overhaul the the International Development Budget has pulled the plug on this project...

International Development Secretary Priti Patel announced a review of the funding last month after reports that pop group Yegna received £5.2m....
....The UK's Department for International Development said its partnership with Girl Effect has ended following the review, but insisted that "empowering women and girls around the world remains a priority".
Looks like the Labour spokesperson doesn't agree...
Shadow International Development Secretary Kate Osamor said it was "really unfortunate" the project "was being rubbished".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38538631

Oh well you can't please everyone ....
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 02:37 PM

I still believe in foreign aid-but some things are just plain daft.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
You still believe in foreign aid!!! When our country needs sorting out unbelievable!! Have you not heard the saying CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
You still believe in foreign aid!!! When our country needs sorting out unbelievable!! Have you not heard the saying CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME?
Yes and yes
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 10:21 PM

I believe 'Kids Company' also did quite well out of 'charity begins at home' .
Received at least £46 million over a 20 yrs period and an £800,000 wages bill for the last year.(Not sure about that as I read £800.000 monthly wages bill. Can't really believe that)
So if we take a possible average of £500,000 over the 20yr period, that's £10 million out of the funds for wages. Now who on earth allowed that to continue to happen for so long ?

Still not in agreement of the topic, the money could be far better utilised to reach the same people. Just another crank come up with an idea to gather a few brownie points.,IMO. and possibly an MBE/OBE later on .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 12:27 AM

I can't believe that there could possibly be another country that wastes as much money as we do.

It's especially disgusting when some of our own people suffer from a lack of sufficient money to feed or heat themselves adequately.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Me too to a degree, I'd limit it to disaster aid or projects giving water to communities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top