Join for free
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2010, 07:35 PM

Stroke Awareness

I remember an advert on TV which highlighted identifying a Stroke victim quickly. Apparently, if recognised as a stroke, quick response and medical attention will make considerable difference to their recovery.

They used abreviations to help remind what to look for. I think the word was FAST. Which in such a serious situation, I wonder if I would remember this word and what it stood for.

However, recently heard about it again, and I would more easily remember the first three letters STR .....

Check if the patient can SMILE
Check if the patient can TALK (any sentence)
Check if the patient can RAISE their arms

Also, ask the patient to put their tongue out, apparently it may be curved or to one side of the mouth.

The more who know, and hopefully remember, could mean the difference to someone's life, if ever required.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2010, 07:40 PM

Re: Stroke Awareness

Good tip - tho DM beat you to it

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=1242
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the link Azz. So it was F.A.S.T. But we cannot have too many helpful reminders can we?

I felt I would personally better remember STR.

Someone, somewhere may one day benefit.

Rainbow
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Reminders are always welcome, Rainbow ..... especially when they can save a life.

Good to see you back!
Rainbow
Surrey UK

14-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Gee, thanks Mags

Rainbow
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the reminder Rainbow.....more you see reminders like this, hopefully the more it will stay in your memory.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top