Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:16 AM

When would you give up driving?

I think there are too many unsafe older drivers on the road and there should be a crack down. My mother was permitted to drive for far too long and was a danger to other road users, especially as the idiot woman wouldn't wear her specs as she didn't like them, a vanity thing! We eventually persuaded her doctor to get her licence removed at the age of 88, before she killed someone.

I have been driving since the age of 12, as we had a large property, and officially since 17, without an accident, parking or speeding ticket, the latter more luck than judgement! I have promised my daughters that I will give up driving the moment they feel I am unsafe. As it is I never drive at night, or poor visibility as my night vision is not good.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:37 AM

Re: When would you give up driving?

I think everyone should have a DVLA eye test when reaching 70 years old before having a new licence to drive. As you have seen I did and passed at nearly 72 years old
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:49 AM

I actually reported a 100 yr old man for his driving , he'd damaged my car but as it was not witnessed ( his paint was left after he scratched my car from front to back ) the police lady asked him to read three number plates and he did accurately , she rang me to say as he could read clearly they could not stop him from driving . ! But this man was a danger to others .
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:12 PM

As soon as I run out of fuel.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I think there are too many unsafe older drivers on the road and there should be a crack down. My mother was permitted to drive for far too long and was a danger to other road users, especially as the idiot woman wouldn't wear her specs as she didn't like them, a vanity thing! We eventually persuaded her doctor to get her licence removed at the age of 88, before she killed someone.

I have been driving since the age of 12, as we had a large property, and officially since 17, without an accident, parking or speeding ticket, the latter more luck than judgement! I have promised my daughters that I will give up driving the moment they feel I am unsafe. As it is I never drive at night, or poor visibility as my night vision is not good.

I am the same with night driving, I rarely go out at night now and if I do, it is only locally.
It is the oncoming headlights that bother me. I wish they would make those bright blue ones illegal. When the drivers don't even dip them it totally blinds me and I'm frightened they will have me in a ditch one of these days. It's even worse when they have fog lights on when its not even foggy.

I wish the police would have a purge on lights in the winter, because the number of cars I see round here going along with only one headlight is ridiculous. It can look like its a motorbike when you only have the one light on, and underestimates the width of the vehicle entirely.
And while I'm having a moan about lights, I also dislike those approaching me that have one headlight down on the road and the other pointing up in the air!
I have never, ever, seen police out at night checking car lights yet they can be so dangerous.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I actually reported a 100 yr old man for his driving , he'd damaged my car but as it was not witnessed ( his paint was left after he scratched my car from front to back ) the police lady asked him to read three number plates and he did accurately , she rang me to say as he could read clearly they could not stop him from driving . ! But this man was a danger to others .

I don't think they should only go on eyesight though Susan, that is only part of it.
We should have to be tested on reactions and emergency stops all over again too. Some people might be OK with the vision, but it doesn't mean they can see something, process the thought, act on it and stop quick enough.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am the same with night driving, I rarely go out at night now and if I do, it is only locally.
It is the oncoming headlights that bother me. I wish they would make those bright blue ones illegal. When the drivers don't even dip them it totally blinds me and I'm frightened they will have me in a ditch one of these days.
The LED headlights are really dangerous, imo.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:26 PM

I do most of my driving after dark so I'm lucky I can see OK in the dark, however I would stop driving if I felt I was a danger, I make sure all of us who drive here have an annual eye test, it's less than £30 each a bargain if it keeps people safe.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-01-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I do most of my driving after dark so I'm lucky I can see OK in the dark, however I would stop driving if I felt I was a danger, I make sure all of us who drive here have an annual eye test, it's less than £30 each a bargain if it keeps people safe.

I do have an annual eye test Julie, and also had anti-glare lenses in my driving specs, but those blue headlights still piece my eyes badly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:34 PM

I worry about not being able to drive myself living miles from anywhere with no public transport . There is a bus 2 miles away but too far to carry shopping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top