Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:02 AM

How Far Did You Walk To School As A Child?

I was thinking about how most children are ferried everywhere by their parents these days.
Yet in my day we had to walk miles in snow and rain to school and back. My primary school was about a mile away but my senior school was just under three miles away. Although, l usually got the bus to that school, l did sometimes walk it.
So l ask, did you have to walk a long way to school when you were younger? Or did you get the bus or a lift from your parents?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:04 AM

Re: How Far Did You Walk To School As A Child?

I lived three streets away from my school, so it was few short cuts down ten foots, over other people's walls and via the sweet shop and I was there.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:12 AM

No I didnt walk......cars had been invented by the time I was old enough to go to school
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
No I didnt walk......cars had been invented by the time I was old enough to go to school
Oh, that's a shame Tipin, as there was going to be a prize for the one who walked the furthest!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:25 AM

Hi

I went to school in Huddersfield, so Trolley Bus for me.

Anyone else remember them?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Oh, that's a shame Tipin, as there was going to be a prize for the one who walked the furthest!!
I would never have qualified for a prize....I was as lazy then as I am now.
I get a taxi to the bus stop
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:34 AM

My walk to grammar school was about 1.5 miles my primary school was about a mile.

My kids also walked to school their primary was about 100 metres whereas their high school walk was about 1.8km.

Different countries different measurements
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I went to school in Huddersfield, so Trolley Bus for me.

Anyone else remember them?
I remember them in London. Like all electric vehicles their acceleration was phenomenal if you jumped on as they took off you could end up hanging off the rail like a flag.

Occasionally they would jump off the electric wires and the conductor had to hook them back on, which as a kid I thought was a really skilled job. They could travel only a short distance without power.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 02:06 AM

I walked to school as an infant. Quite a long way and home for lunch and back again. So, 4 times a day kept mum slim. We didn't even find it hard, but it must have been a good 20 mins walk.
Rain, wind, hail or shine. In the snow with wellie boots and two pairs of socks. Our little toes still ached with the cold. Ouch ! I can feel it now, poor little mites we were.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-01-2017, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Rain, wind, hail or shine. In the snow with wellie boots and two pairs of socks. Our little toes still ached with the cold. Ouch ! I can feel it now, poor little mites we were.
That is one of my abiding memories of school the walk to school in winter in the deep snow or freezing rain, back of your calf muscles red raw from the top of the gum boots rubbing and freezing toes.

Even worse when you arrived the steamy classrooms with all the wet socks on the radiators, wearing plimsolls all day indoors hoping that the socks and boots would be dry by the time you had to go home.

Hideous!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top