Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 07:48 PM

Hull City of Culture 2017

Some of you may have seen that Hull has been awarded this title for this coming year.

I have lived in Hull for the past 52 years and counting (give or take the odd jaunt away in the forces). Born and bred there, moved away, moved back again. So before you all begin, I surely have the most experienced opinion ...

Hull has gained it's City of Culture accolade due to a variety of things, mostly I reckon as a city which encourages input from a vast multicultural society. In that, I'm not referring to Hull as a dumping ground for migrants or such like (hasn’t any large city?), but because it is open to many different cultures largely through education via its highly commended university and its many colleges.

My city has had a pretty poor reputation in the past, largely through the ignorance of poorly-researched journalists, Phil Spencer and people who relay too much of what they read (without experiencing a few days here), but in the past 10 years or so has turned itself around to be a very prominent city of growth industry which attracts folk from outside of the city with their businesses.

The nightlife is great. The pubs and bars are thriving now and the city has shown a vast restructuring of its public parks, streets and landmarks, and at last we are getting a proper music arena so things are definitely looking up with the entertainment side of things. Plus, tonight’s opening firework display is said to be bigger and better than the one in London yesterday.

Sport is dominated by two top flight rugby league teams: Hull FC – top of the league last year and Hull Kingston Rovers (which I’d rather not talk about…red and white b’stards), and of course Hull City ‘Tigers’ football club, who tend to bounce in and out of the premier league each season.

The place will always have that boring old stigma of a "sh!thole" attached to it, but until you visit and delve deeper than the same old “what you read” nonsense, please keep an open mind. And I’ll also guarantee you that anyone here who disses Hull without reason because of its “reputation” will find the same sort of trouble, fighting, drugs problems and so on in their own cities as well. That happens everywhere, especially in London. There are good and bad areas to every major town or city but the people of Hull are by and large friendly, honest, genuine and hard working.

One problem we have – and it’s a major one - is that Hull and East Yorkshire Councils are run by old farts, and those old fart ideals still occupy the agenda in most of the city’s planning, and therefore Hull hasn’t moved upwardly mobile as some of its regional counterparts, such as Leeds or Sheffield. The rail network is also hopelessly out of date.

But folks, if you can take the time to visit my hometown this coming year in its City of Culture, please do. I’m sure you’ll have an enjoyable time but don’t forget to tell me you’re coming and I’ll meet you for a beer. Until then, regards. I’ll look forward to your replies.
Regards
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 07:53 PM

Re: Hull City of Culture 2017

I heard the Hull City of Culture event being discussed on the radio Floydy I have never been to Hull.
I understand the celebrations start tonight with a magnificent firework display
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 07:59 PM

I like Hull !
My genealogy research has taken me there on quite a few occasions and I have found it to be a lively place with friendly people. I am glad it is to be the City of Culture 2017 - have already made my contribution :-
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...t=36856&page=4
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I heard the Hull City of Culture event being discussed on the radio Floydy I have never been to Hull.
I understand the celebrations start tonight with a magnificent firework display
They do, Meg. I won't be going myself but it promises to be a fantastic display
Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I like Hull !
My genealogy research has taken me there on quite a few occasions and I have found it to be a lively place with friendly people. I am glad it is to be the City of Culture 2017 - have already made my contribution :-
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...t=36856&page=4
I remember this thread. Some good posts (and some ignorant ones too - from those who thrive on hearsay!)
Yes, Silver Tabby, it's a decent city and there's a vast array of attractions on the cards for the coming year
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 08:06 PM

Have heard they are very friendly people up there .
You, I think being a prime example Floydy.
Smile.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Have heard they are very friendly people up there .
You, I think being a prime example Floydy.
Smile.
Aw shucks! Thanks, Apricot. I'm always smiling
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 08:14 PM

I was there a few weeks ago Floydy, but it is on my doorstep. There was a huge amount of work going on and I'm certain City of Culture will make folk sit up and take notice of this fine city!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2017, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I was there a few weeks ago Floydy, but it is on my doorstep. There was a huge amount of work going on and I'm certain City of Culture will make folk sit up and take notice of this fine city!
The town is a bombsite isn't it, Val? They keep promising us that it's going to be ready in time...but, alas, it's too late!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Aw shucks! Thanks, Apricot. I'm always smiling
I guessed that
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 08:35 PM

Ive never been to Hull Floydy but youve given it a very good review

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top