Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 09:56 AM

Hol(e)y Bread !

As our local bakery is closed for refurbishment I bought a loaf of sliced bread in Sainsbury's last week. When I opened it I found that, apart from the two end slices, it was unusable due to a gaping hole right through the middle!

The next time I was in there I mentioned it to the bakery staff - not as an official complaint, just a comment - and was told it was a known fault with the slicing machine.

Now that made me more angry than the useless bread, so I have written to Sainsbury's to ask two questions:-

1) If it is a known fault - why has it not been fixed?
2) Why are they still selling a useless product?

It will be interesting to see if they reply!

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 10:17 AM

Re: Hol(e)y Bread !

I know what you mean Tabby, it really 'does my head in' I'm just a layman when it comes to baking bread but I reckon the slicing machine has got nothing to do with it, looks more like bad mixing to me. I've had it on a smaller scale with some of the more well known brands, but if I had one as bad as that Tabby I would have taken it back. Do they know how much hard work we have to do to earn a crust......And a crust is about all you will get with a loaf from Sainsburys....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Looks more like poorly neaded dough to me. They are blaming the machine for bad quality control.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Come across this myself with bread from Morrisons. They used to produce lovely bread, but changed the process to steam baking i believe, and the bread now is horrible.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 11:11 AM

Very occasionally I have had loaves of bread like the one displayed. No big deal, the birds get an extra treat.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 12:17 PM

It is always worth complaining especially if you get photos. Companies rarely send sample packages to appease complainers any more but you often get a $10 EFTPOS card.

Personally I never buy the supermarket bread because it tastes bloody awful, it is not risen by yeast but air is beaten into it to save time. For $1 a loaf you get what you pay for - rubbish. I like the local Vietnamese baker his loaves are $2.10 but far superior - baked that night.

If you want the money in £s divide by 2
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is always worth complaining especially if you get photos. Companies rarely send sample packages to appease complainers any more but you often get a $10 EFTPOS card.

Personally I never buy the supermarket bread because it tastes bloody awful, it is not risen by yeast but air is beaten into it to save time. For $1 a loaf you get what you pay for - rubbish. I like the local Vietnamese baker his loaves are $2.10 but far superior - baked that night.

If you want the money in £s divide by 2
I have better things to do than complain about a mere loaf of bread!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have better things to do than complain about a mere loaf of bread!
Good on ya, gives you more time to whinge about everything else eh?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Looks more like poorly neaded dough to me. They are blaming the machine for bad quality control.

I agree. I don't see how a slicing machine can put air wholes through a loaf! Ridiculous thing to say.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 01:10 PM

I have just had one of those automatic 'Your email is being dealt with' things !

Now Christmas is over and there is space in my kitchen again I will resume making my own bread!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top