Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 04:57 PM

Have You Ever Had An Exotic Bird Or Animal In Your Garden?

I ask because something I saw on the net triggered this true story.
Some years ago on a sunny & warm day I went out to fill the bird feeders & heard a strange noise in the oak tree, a Scarlet Macaw. Quite a shock.
"What are you doing here?" I asked. It made a rude noise then said 'go away'. I didn't know what to do, went back inside & my Son was home, so he went out to see it & it seemed to like him, but wouldn't move out of the tree.
I went to the front of the house to see if anyone was looking for it & a car stopped, the man said had I seen a parrot, yes, said I, it's in my garden. He went down the side of the house with a cage & to cut a long story short caught the parrot.
He said he & his wife were out in the garden sitting in chairs with both parrots, they had the female also, perched on the back of their chairs, they often took them both out doors.
A gust of wind got under the males feathers & he took off. Never flown off like that before, the man said, his wings had been clipped but must have grown back. The man had got in his car straight away to follow him.
He was so grateful, but I said I hadn't really done anything. Anyway that evening the man turned up with a huge bouquet of flowers & a box of chocolates & said the parrot was worth a lot of money but to him he was a family member. He would have hated to lose him & the parrots mate would have pined.
He also said both parrots were booked to have wing clips at the vets so it didn't happen again.

Now, I don't like that they clip their wings, but I guess those parrots have a good life, even if captive birds & they get to be outside as well as indoors. They are too imprinted on humans, being captive bred to survive in the wild & certainly wouldn't in England.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 05:14 PM

Re: Have You Ever Had An Exotic Bird Or Animal In Your Garden?

I once heard a loud scream then sobbing coming from the garden .... going to investigate I found a large brightly coloured bird on the patio , crying, tears falling from its little eyes I stooped and picked it up and noticed the grazes on 'its back end' .
My neighbour watching me from over the fence said that's a 'yowmebumbum' bird ya got there lad!
A what I asked....
a'yowmebumbum' bird he repeated.... very rare bird indeed lad , you notice it hasn't any legs .... I looked and sure enough it had wings but no legs .... that's why they are named so .... with no legs when they land they let out a god awful screech then shout ' YOWMEBUMBUM!'
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 05:48 PM

Does a zebra's head count?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Does a zebra's head count?
Isn't that a bar code?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:12 PM

We had lots of exotic animals and birds in the garden when we lived in Africa. Too many monkeys, the Sykes monkeys were vicious little brutes. The tiny DikDik, Chameleons, Weaver birds, Hornbills, snakes and lizards, Bush babies, rarely seen but always heard, little ground Squirrels, all kinds of things. I loved it and yes I do miss it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:24 PM

I once saw what I thought was quite an exotic bird in my garden. After looking it up in my 'Birds of the World' book, I decided it was an Azure Magpie ( a lovely looking bird) When I described it to a friend I was told it was a Jay.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:32 PM

I once had a very tiny but beautiful Hummingbird Hawk Moth in my back garden..I videoed it also.. Ive never seen another since ..

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:39 PM

A blue ringneck parrot is an infrequent visitor but he has been coming for about 10 years.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4bb481e73d.jpg
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 06:40 PM

We had a couple of those noisy green parakeets that make such a nuisance in some areas, luckily they didn't seem to like it here and moved on swiftly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 08:36 PM

I once had a budgie in the Garden , I tried to catch it with the help of a neighbour. Poor little thing, it wouldn't have survived long in the wild.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top