Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Siege mentality

What on earth possesses people at Bank Holidays?

I was in Sainsbury's at 7:15am. They had staff in HiVis jackets, carrying flashlights, directing people to available spaces in the car park - at that time !

The shop itself - quite a large one - was absolutely packed. Husbands and wives each with a trolly piled high with food. Bored children - still half asleep - trailing after them and whinging.

Every check out was staffed and there were two helpers in the self service space. Both an unusual occurance.

I whizzed round - collected my booze and the cleaning stuff I needed - Oh - and a large jar of Bovril - all the talk about it on another thread whetted my appetite - and I was out of there as fast as possible.

Why do some people have the mad compulsion to over buy on food? The shops are only closed for one day
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 10:02 AM

Re: Siege mentality

I know I walked past sainsburys about 4am the car park was full already !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 10:08 AM

ST, Every year when l see people with their trolley piled high almost to the ceiling, l think, l bet most of that food goes uneaten and ends up in the dustbin or out for the birds!
When l hear the checkout operator announce how much their bill is, l half expect them to faint on the spot! I know l would! Some amounts are nearly as much as a monthly mortgage repayment!

I have been known to do my Christmas food shopping after midnight in Tesco. Bliss!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 10:09 AM

Unless they have fresh deliveries in the night I would never go at that time.
I don't want yesterdays goods!

We're going to face the bedlam at Tesco's sometime today..
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 10:09 AM

Well im sure the impending Storm Betty is having some effect on peoples plans,we have severe weather warnings up here threatening bad traveling conditions. I have my final shop planned on Christmas Eve morning (early) hopefully things may be a bit quieter.

I usually do the full shop then, but changed circumstances mean i have had to do it in smaller doses, just in case i got the falling down water and Christmas pd in so at least i wont die of thirst or hunger.

I pimped my ride with lights and tinsel (Rollator) so i get seen by the madding crowd, and even a few nice festive comments.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 10:16 AM

They have deliveries all day and night coming up to Christmas, a marquee in the car park is erected to hold a lot of it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What on earth possesses people at Bank Holidays?

I was in Sainsbury's at 7:15am. They had staff in HiVis jackets, carrying flashlights, directing people to available spaces in the car park - at that time !

The shop itself - quite a large one - was absolutely packed. Husbands and wives each with a trolly piled high with food. Bored children - still half asleep - trailing after them and whinging.

Every check out was staffed and there were two helpers in the self service space. Both an unusual occurance.

I whizzed round - collected my booze and the cleaning stuff I needed - Oh - and a large jar of Bovril - all the talk about it on another thread whetted my appetite - and I was out of there as fast as possible.

Why do some people have the mad compulsion to over buy on food? The shops are only closed for one day
I agree. I buy sufficient for our needs, but never go OTT. It is disgusting to stuff yourself with more food than you need, when many in this world are starving!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 10:25 AM

I think that it's true to say that the excess and hysteria at xmas is mainly driven by the female of the species, as most blokes that I know would gladly settle for much less. Personally, if I was on my own then beans on toast and a mince pie would be a utopian feast thank you very much, and bah humbug to everything else....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

23-12-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I think that it's true to say that the excess and hysteria at xmas is mainly driven by the female of the species, as most blokes that I know would gladly settle for much less. Personally, if I was on my own then beans on toast and a mince pie would be a utopian feast thank you very much, and bah humbug to everything else....
Best Christmas we ever had was a picnic on littlehampton beach, egg sandwiches and Christmas cake. We were only ones there bliss.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Best Christmas we ever had was a picnic on littlehampton beach, egg sandwiches and Christmas cake. We were only ones there bliss.
Sounds wonderful Julie...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top