Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 06:05 PM

Had a good moan today

Ooh I had a good moan at Royal Mail today.

My post lady shoved a card through my letterbox this morning saying they could not deliver a package because it had insufficient postage on it. I was to take some I.D., go to the sorting office and pay £2 and I could have my package.
I cursed, but went later on today.

I handed over my two quid, grudgingly, and waited for the bloke to fetch my parcel. It came, and all it was was a flippin' Christmas card about 4" x 4" - with no stamp on it.

I asked the bloke how he accounted for a £2 charge.
He said "Well there is a £1 'handling charge madam'.
"Yes," I said, so why charge me double, what is the other £1 for?"

"Well the price of a stamp madam".

"Even a bloomin' first class stamp with knobs on doesn't equate to another pound!" Says I, feeling quite ratty with him by now.

He couldn't think of anything else to explain it, and shipped me off with a phone number to ring if I wanted an explanation.

I went off, grumbling and muttering about "no wonder so many people use ecards instead now, what a rip off".

It turned out to be a card from a friend of mine. You wait till I see her.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 07:04 PM

Re: Had a good moan today

Post will not be delivered if large letter stamp is not used, it can be so frustrating.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 07:19 PM

I received a card to say the postman had been unable to deliver a letter so thinking it must be important I drove into town and went to the post depot. The man produced what I saw to be an envelope with a birthday card from my niece without a stamp (she swears she put a stamp on in) and he demanded £2.

Angry at having had to drive into town for nothing I refused to pay and told him to keep it and walked out
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 07:25 PM

Yes, I don't blame you Meg. I really did object to being charge £2 for a 55p stamp - then still having to go and collect it from town myself too!

I thought it might be Gertie's DNA results, that's why I went.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 07:51 PM

I got stung by our PO for import duty, fair enough I thought, I had ordered it from America & I was just unlucky to get done for it, lots of times before I hadn't. Went to the sorting office to collect it & was charged £12, only £4 was import duty, the rest was handling charge, handling, they certainly didn't do that, I was the one who had to collect it from the sorting office, no one delivered it at all. I was fuming. I haven't ordered any more DVD imports since.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2016, 01:10 PM

I can’t offer any way of avoiding their charges but I have found a way of not going to the sorting office. You can pay the charge on line and the item will be delivered next day. Just type ‘royalmail’ and ‘redelivery’ into Google and you will be directed to the correct site.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-12-2016, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I can’t offer any way of avoiding their charges but I have found a way of not going to the sorting office. You can pay the charge on line and the item will be delivered next day. Just type ‘royalmail’ and ‘redelivery’ into Google and you will be directed to the correct site.

Thanks Mr. Magoo.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2016, 03:56 PM

I must be the lucky one

A few years back, digging up old ancestors, I sent off for a wad of birth & death certificates from Liverpool Registrars office.

Walking home it occurred to me, I couldn't remember putting a stamp on it, daft pig, and had just popped it in the letter box.
Which also meant I hadn't put a stamp on the S.A.E inside either .. and there was a cheque inside it to make matters worse. I couldn't even remember if I'd sealed it.

I rang the local sorting office and they told me the procedure... at which I went braindead at all this convoluted palaver over the recipient having to pay . and then how they'd forward me the eventual bill for it all, though would legally retain ownership of it as it was addressed to them until I coughed up.

So I rang the Registrar direct, where it was due to land and explained using my most winsome, 'I'm a daft scatty woman' voice and the kindly bloke told me the government kept a float for that kind of thing, it happened all the time, and there would be no charge, they'd pay for it at their end.
He even phoned me back later to tell me they'd received it okay and nothing had been tampered with.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Ah, well you could obviously charm the birds from the trees Mort, you jammy little piglet you.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2016, 04:11 PM

Not always Mups
It worked with the TV licensing people back in the 80's when they knocked on the door, came in and pointed to the TV and said, 'What's that?'
'Oh that,' says I with a high pitched squeak. 'It's my mum's. It's just taken up squatters rights whilst she moves house but we don't watch it much'.
Which was the truth. Though it had lived with us for 6 months.

But it didn't work when the electricity people turned up with a Court Order to cut off the electric because next door's hadn't paid the bill. I wasn't at me best then, rolling pastry and up to me elbows in flour.
That's a story in itself .. I don't imagine many people have bought a house then discovered they're on a shared electric, gas and water supply with their neighbour. That was fun to sort out though it did mean we got it free as we didn't legally exist as a consumer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top