Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Google it

When someone replies "Google it" to a question does it really mean "I haven't a clue" But I'm to embarrassed to admit it?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 01:34 PM

Re: Google it

Oooo...I don't know....I'll have to google it
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Oooo...I don't know....I'll have to google it
Smart arse
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Could be they can’t be bothered to have a stab at answering the question themselves, I never say Google it, but if I don’t know I’ll Google it meself as a last resort, I love to hear what real live people have to say about the subject, their own version of things, people are unique and they come and go, Google is always there.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
When someone replies "Google it" to a question does it really mean "I haven't a clue" But I'm to embarrassed to admit it?
No not generally.

It mostly means, stop being lazy and expecting the rest of the world to spoon-feed you with information.

Yes it IS important that we are all informed of certain issues, about health, about bad foods, about what's going on in the world, and I for one spend hours of my life passing on what I have learned or been told.

However, by far, the single most important thing every person needs to do, is THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

Hence when someone says "Go Google it yourself" they are many a time saying, rise up, think for yourself, ask the questions, see what you find.

We live in a world of mass disinformation. People in every country are bombarded by propaganda by their governments via TV, film and radio. Searching for truth is hard, painstaking and saps hours of your time. Nevertheless, it needs to be done, and sooner rather than later.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 03:24 PM

Ever the cynic! I would be more apt to think that anyone replying with "Google it" does not know the answer themselves and it's their way of getting out of having to admit they don't know the answer!

Much better to admit one doesn't know the answer and then say Google it and let me know what it says.

I would personally respect them more if they were honest enough to admit they didn't know!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 03:31 PM

Hi

The problem with Googlr is that it tracks where you have been, so will tend to send you back to the same sources.

There are others which do not go this and which can give a different perspective on things.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 04:28 PM

When anyone asks a question on a forum, I always wonder why they haven't Googled it themselves. If they don't know how, that's ok & if they really are useless on the net then yes, if I can, I'll look it up for them, though I am not that good at the net myself, so they have to be worse at it than I am, but I think most of the time they just want someone else to do the donkey work so they don't have to & want the answer given them on a plate, so to speak.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 04:47 PM

I often suggest people do a search on Google using particular words manufacturer/model number etc if they are having technical problems with an item.

I suggest this because the information is often to be found on product or manufacturers websites which may contain a forum
and in most instances we don't allow links to forums so I am unable to post the information for them with a link .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 05:16 PM

I as kfolks on the forum for advice, because i wish to hear their personal experience of the subject. Added to info from other sources it helps to inform my choices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top