Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Abdication Anniversary

Next weekend is 80th Anniversary of Edward Vlll speech. Would he have been a better monarch if allowed to marry? I think he might.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 05:01 PM

Re: Abdication Anniversary

Perhaps too hypothetical to speculate.
His alleged Nazi sympathies might have proved a worry ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 05:17 PM

Pity he didn't abdicate on behalf of the entire family!!!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 05:32 PM

I do nothink he would have made a good King.

As Prince Edward, he many affairs with with married women
some of whom were in the Aristocracy

He spent most of his time pursuing his own pleasures, and the Government of that time were very worried about him and his lifestyle.

What sort of a man abdicates ,gives up his Crown and Country for a twice divorced women?

Mrs Simpson also had other affairs whilst married as well.
and he followed her round like a little dog when they were married.

It is true they were good friends of Hitler

Many people including me ,wondered what he saw in that very thin masculine looking women.

She once stated that "One could never be too thin,.
or too rich"

I think Edward actually though she would be the Queen had he been allowed too marry her.

There is a new biography out just now about Edward,which divulges things we did not know about him and Mr Simpson.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 05:50 PM

Two self centred individuals, IMO
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 06:43 PM

I am glad he abdicated, things would be very different if he hadn't, for the worse IMO.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Watching a programme on Yesterday channel now suggesting the Archbishop Of Canterbury and PM plotted to topple the king.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I am glad he abdicated, things would be very different if he hadn't, for the worse IMO.
Yes Tiffany

We might have been saluting and saying "Seig Heil" in Jack Boots doing a high kick.

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

04-12-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Two self centred individuals, IMO
That is very true, Apricot.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

04-12-2016, 09:33 PM

Fascinating.http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2012/12...iiis-downfall/

In December 1936, following the Abdication of Edward VIII, a rhyme circulated about the Archbishop of Canterbury, Cosmo Lang:

‘My Lord Archbishop, what a scold you are!
And when your man is down, how bold you are!
Of Christian charity how scant you are!
And, auld Lang swine, how full of cant you are!’

Lang had made a particularly ill-judged broadcast three days after the Abdication, which caused considerable offence. The widespread view of Lang is that he impotently wrung his hands on the sidelines before the Abdication, after which he made his disastrous broadcast. A different view was taken by the Duke of Windsor in his memoirs: ‘Behind [the Prime Minister, Baldwin] … was a shadowy hovering presence, the Archbishop of Canterbury … from beginning to end I had a disquieting feeling that he was invisibly and noiselessly about.’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top